Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Aussie Dave 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

G'day guys,

I'm trying to Fit an automatic Headlight kit from
Design Tech. The installation manual is  here.  It seems on the surface an easy 6 wire installation..... I don't want to use the 7th wire to have the lights come on when the wipers are functioning... it would seem silly when you've got your wipers on intermittent! Automatic Headlight Kit - Last Post -- posted image..........
1-  1 Wire to the Positve Side of the Battery.
2-  1 Wire to a Positive (ignition on only) feed.
3-  1 Wire to the Positve side of a parker light.
4-  1 Wire to the positve side of the Low beam lamp
5-  1 Wire to the poisitve side of the High beam lamp
6-  1 Wire to the chassis (ground).
Seems straight Forward enough - but I keep blowing the 20A in-line fuse between the Battery and the Control Unit.
I understand how it works in principal.... by connecting the wires from the unit to each of the lamps, the unit controls and by-passes your stalk headlight controls. Controlling a circuit in parallel to the standard headlight control circuit.
I've even checked that I've got the right connections on the lamps by running two wires from the battery directly to each of the lamps to see if they light and they do! I really don't know what I've done (or doing wrong!) I've even rechecked with a test lamp that I've got the right points.. the Fuse still keeps blowing.
As an aside - I did install the reversing sensors myself and I found that the reverse lamps were ground switched rather than positive switched. IE. The positive side of the lamps are permanantly connected to a power source and it was the negative wire that was switched on/off to control the lamps. Backward to anything I've ever seen on a car, but then the only cars I've fiddled with electrically were a 180B an '79Triumph TR7 and a 81' Mazda 929......

I've been advised to reverse the polarity of the installation ie) all of the wires going to the positive terminals of a lamp go to the negative, the earth lead from the unit to got to the positive terminal on the battery and the "hot" lead from the unit to go to ground with a relay between the unit and the battery on what was the earth lead.I have two questions here though... how would I wire up the relay and where would I connect the wire that goes to the cars positive ignition source (wire 2 above)?

Cheers all....
here's prayng for help.......
Aussie Dave.

Aussie Dave 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Guys,

I've thought about this some more... (Couldn't sleep last night due to the mind pondering this). I'm no electrical genius (I know as little as your avaerage handyman does), but could I wire the system up as suggested and use a relay between each of the positve wires from the unit and the positive terminals at the lights they are supposed to be connected to - to reverse the polarity (as shown here)?  In your learned opinions would this work and what kind of Relays would I require?

Cheers and thanks

Dave.

Aussie Dave 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thinking some more about this....
in short will this work?
Automatic Headlight Kit - Last Post -- posted image.
Excuse the crudeness of my diagram.
Dave.
Cheers
Dave

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic