icon

Rid of head unit all together?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nemo07 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 Mustang GT with Mach 460 sound. I am building a carputer in and want it to control all my audio but don't exactly know how to wire it to the stock system (or if it's even possible). I know if i had an aftermarket amp i could just run rca cables from the computer to the input of the amp and get rid of the head unit all together. Is there any similar solution with the existing stock system/amps?
Thanks in advance
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
None that I can think of  - you'll need an amplifier.   I am interested in the carputer you're putting together.  What are you putting in it?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
nemo07 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
I'm putting together a computer from some old stuff I have layin around.
The plans now are to mold a 7" lilliput touch screen monitor in the dash and wire usb ports and a usb dvd drive to the glove box. I haven't decided if i'm going to add a wireless keyboard/mouse yet... i might just get them in the trunk to get them when needed. also in the plans are a usb gps for navigation, and eventually an OBDII reader with the software to tell me all i want to know about my car (eventually -- as soon as i budget for it). I will connect to the internet using my cell phone and data cable, or while i'm near my house (or randomly driving around) using 802.11. also so i still have a normal radio i'm going to use a d-link usb radio you can get for around $20.
So the beauty of it is this... no more cd's -- all my mp3's at the touch of a finger, navigation, dvd/divx movies, and even help to monitor/modify the performance in my car (like the laptop in fast and the furious Rid of head unit all together? -- posted image. ) And oh yeah.... eventually software to control my phone with the computer (as soon as mine is supported)... hands free operation and even voice activated dialing while in the car and automatic muting for incoming calls.-- not bad ehh?
if you want more specifics (including brand names, design, or software) just let me know. Also check out www.mp3car.com . I've done some extensive research there and pretty much have it planned.... just trying to keep it cheap (thus the trying to find a way around an aftermarket amp)
Thanks for the reply!
nollaz 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
if you have somewhat of a budget what i would do is get a equalizer and run the rca's fromt he computer to the eq, then you will have fronts rear and sub preamp outs get one 4 channel amp and run your 4 car speakers off of that and if you want subs get another amp for that purpose. this way you have everything your looking for plus the precise tuning of the eq. pioneer and kenwood have a new digital eq out now they look like head units but there a digita eq the pioneer has a 15 band tuning capability and looks quite awsome(especially right below a touch screen).
yup
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  

What sound card are you going for?  I was thinking about doing this if I ever get bored dynamatting or my head unit dies or something.  

I think one of the huge benefits of running a car puter would be the ability to include a really high sound card with 24-bit dvd-audio support.  Since I can't sleep here's what I would do w/ unlimited budget:  http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Audigy2ZS_platinum_pro/ 

I think the remote would be key for quick access while driving.  Secondly, a card like that has separate outs for center, l/r fronts, rears, and subwoofer.   One issue you might have is signal strength.  You won't see many 2-8 volt pre-amp outputs like on car head units. 

I would go with something like this rather than the kenwood or pioneer dash eq:  http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Digital/DQS.html

It features 6 channel digital eq + line driver to clean and increase the signal strength going out to the amplifiers.  Then I'd add this:   http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/Crossovers/3XS.html

Which is an electronic crossover with 4 channel input. 

Then I'd buy 5 of these:  http://www.xtant.com/html/products/xtant1.1i.cfm  One of these for the sub:  http://www.xtant.com/html/products/xtant3.1.cfm

I'm not sure what speaker set I would use.  I think the difficult thing would be finding a center channel to match the left/right/surround.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
Nemo07, can I suggest (instead of noisy, nasty MP3's) this? I use it myself, and while not as space efficient as MP3, it is FAR superior in it's playback and compression schemes... Being an audiophile, (a REAL audiophile) I have used it many times and found it to be FAR superior to MP3. I heard it is based on the MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) scheme of DVD-A. Additionally, it automatically installs a plug-in for WinAMP, which I prefer to Windows Media Player. Far smaller, and MUCH faster, and requires WAY less system to run it efficiently. I also like WinAMP for it's playlist capabilities, even if you move the directories, if the *.m3u file is in the same directory, it'll STILL play! MSMP can't claim that... I also have WOWThing, a software based on Sony's SRS, and it adds WONDERFUL depth and recovers quite a bit of even the lossy MP3 format. Check the internet for it. It's free!
Anyway, I like your ideas, and I was also considering doing the same thing, using balanced passive volume controls, with a fixed gain stage in the trunk, to overcome the problems of low output voltage from most soundcards. Keep us posted as to your progress.
kfr01, EXCELLENT choice on that soundcard! That is one rocking piece of gear. I know, cause I use the same thing on my system at home. I also have Swan T120Speakers for my multimedia playback, as soon as I can afford another pair, I'll have a pair for my rears as well!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, (after re-reading my previous post, unfortunately too late to do anything about it; I had already hit the submit button) I never meant to imply that none of you are audiophiles, and I apologize if I insulted anybody. I simply meant to say I was a real OVER THE EDGE audiophile. Bigger, better, faster, more... that is my motto. When my friends want something beyond the ordinary, the come and ask the guy who's start point is "When too much is just right." Rid of head unit all together? -- posted image. Again, please accept my apologies, and take the previous post in the spirit in which it was intended. Time to go back to work, Dave...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst,  I agree .. winamp is the way to go..  although I don't like mp3 quality either, I do have a large collection of mp3 music.  I have found that this:  http://www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/mad-plugin/   24-bit plugin, a 24-bit sound card, and a digital out to a good receiver gets pretty decent sound if the mp3 is encoded at -insane or -extreme quality.

I'll have to try that FLAC format though.  I messed around with some lossless encoders a couple years ago, but didn't find anything that sounds like FLAC.  - thanks for the tip.

Those Swan speakers look pretty good. 

nemo07 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a ton for the advice! I'm checking out FLAC as we speak!
As for the equalizer and sound card those look amazing, but i AM on an extremely limited budget (unfortunately) Rid of head unit all together? -- posted image.. The entire idea came about b/c i could pull it off for relatively nothing.
As for the amps and equalizer.... how sweet would it be to have surround sound for my dvd's in my car??? Rid of head unit all together? -- posted image. Definitely something worth looking into. One problem is i'm out of dash room.... my plans are to mold the screen into a combination of the HVAC Controls and the head unit since they are on relatively the same plane... then into the recessed cd player din would go the the HVAC Controls (until they create a reliable HVAC control for the computer over at mp3car.com Rid of head unit all together? -- posted image. Here's a picture to give you a better idea http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/Mach.html
therefore kfr01's solution for the equalizer might just be the best thing.
I definitely will go with a 4 channel amp hooked up to the stock speakers (for now at least) and then later get one for some subs. I actually have 2 Kicker 10's sitting in my room (right next to me) but i didn't want to give up my trunk completely (seeing as i have a convertible now and they came out of a hard top). Will the wiring be difficult or is there anything special i should look for or do? Also what exactly do crossovers do... i've never quite understood them.
Thanks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic