icon

steering wheel squeek

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  

sorry.. i know this has got nothing to do with electronics and stuff but i guess that you all would know how to solve this.

my steering wheel squeeks alot when i turn it around and stuff.. its not the power steering fluid and it still steers with no problems at all.. its only that annoying squeek. I know i need to lubricate it somehow.. how do i go around doing that? do i use stuff like wd40 or silicone lubricant? or do i hafto use grease?. How do i get it into where the squeeking is coming from?

Thanks

jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
find the squeek's area start taking off column shroud...or panels...untill you find it...what to use will depend on where the squeek is...let us know when you find the squeek...
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

My guess would be that the steering column needs to be greased. A lot of people seem to skip over this basic maintenance and its so easy I dont know why, I grease all steering grease points every couple thousand miles when I change my oil, basically all you do is this...

Go to autozone, o'reilys, pepboys etc... ask them where there grease guns are (you can get a pneumatic one if you have a compressor) get a grease gun and a can of grease, they should be able to help you selecting all of this, then go home, jack up the front end and look for a small fitting that the nozzle of the grease gun fits on, its really hard to explain what they look like but once you have the gun you should have a decent idea (look around parts of the steering system that tend to twist or turn or move in any special way) you may want to ask whoever helps you at the auto parts store to explain where they would be a little better and they could even help you, anyway a few pumps of the grease gun into there your steering should feel much better.  Hopefully this helps if not then sorry I wasted your time explaining all of this (always seems like I go through a long explanation of something and then its wrong and someone else comes along and gives more simple yet better advice)

nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the great replies.. i've isolated the problem. its was cause by the contact of the steering wheel with the dash board and i just squirted some wd40 and its all gone.. dont know if thats safe.. its been 3 days and haven't had a problem yet.. the hardest part was getting the horn plate off as it kept blaring everytime i turned the driver.

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
get some lube in there all the wd 40 did is wash the dirt and grease away (it's a penetrant not a lubricant)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic