the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

electronic v. passive crossover, opinons?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
holy sh*te! 1/18 octave and 72dB!?!? well smack my ass and call me sally! I thought I had some sweet stuff at up to 10 bands per output (6 of em) 18 global bands, and 48dB per octave... damn, son when you getting to Bakersfield to share some of that stuff? 

Haha, yeah.  Sony used to make some amazing stuff.  It's too bad they make crap now.  Here's a link to info on the processor I use: http://www.matronics.com/xdp4000x-list/   You can also download the DSC software that controls it to see all the functionality.  It doesn't have 10 per output like what yours does though.  The 4000X only has 10 bands left and 10 bands right.  But it does give you 250 different Q positions.  Also the crossover selection, although steep, doesn't give many points.  That's the biggest problem with the unit.

BTW, what unit are you using?

My boss was talking about a design he has that makes mine look like pitiful.  In fact, it sounds like it would make Alpine's F1 system look pitiful.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I totally agree with the latter part of that statement, that Eclipse head has no place in most people systems. No offence intended as well, for some people it will solve a dedicated problem or task that makes it necessary, for others, well when in Rome....... 
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
And there i was trying to answer in layman's terms and to keep it simple...  electronic v. passive crossover, opinons? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

Wow!  Thank you all for the rundown.  I have enjoyed reading your posts.  I appreciate you all taking the time to speak at a higher level about the question I asked.  Let me say first that I am not one of those people that would buy a unit like the Eclipse and play around with the parametric eq until I understood what I was doing.  While I am not an electrical engineer, a professional in the car audio industry, or even a long-time participant in the car audio field/hobby, I did get a degree in computer science, work for a few years as a programmer/database administrator, and am now using car audio as a much needed sanity device during the summer after my first year of attending a competitive law school.  I don't write that to prop myself up in any way, I would simply assert that if a concept is adequately presented I am confident that I can at least come to some base understanding of that concept or ask appropriate follow-up questions until I do.

Having said that, it is my goal this summer to acheive the best possible sound quality from my system under my somewhat limited budget.  I listened to the available equipment in my price range, with the exception of the ID subwoofer, before I bought.  Although I was not experienced with installation, I took the time to do research the correct way to install the amplifiers and the components myself.  Yesterday I just finished damping each door with over 20ft^2 of dynamat xtreme.  The drivers are mounted to a foam gasket with the back cut out on 3/4" MDF brackets sealed to the door with silicone caulk.  The inside of the door is also lined w/ xtreme everywhere I could reach and directly behind the speaker is a cascade audio deflex pad.  The tweeter is installed in the coax position and I spend considerable time trying to get the imaging right before mounting the speaker.  I adjusted the l/r balance with test tones and an spl meter and set the time correction based on the Eclipse manual. I only tell you this to let you know I'm serious about achieving the best possible sound this summer on my budget.  With the exception of my soldering laziness (see a previous post), the system has come a long way toward that end so far.

electronic v. passive crossover, opinons? - Page 2 -- posted image.

My friend and I drove out of town last night to demo some b&w, mirage, and energy home theater systems.  We spent hours with the dealer doing a/b tests before buying.  While I don't claim to be an audiophile, I can recognize and appreciate what sounds good.

Now, haemphyst, your conclusion was that the Eclipse's crossovers could provide me better sound with the proper tools.  I'm assuming that you'd say my analog spl meter and autosound test tones aren't going to cut it, correct?    If there is a substantial improvement to be gained by using my active crossovers in the deck, I am willing to at least consider what I'd need to do to get there.  Suggestions everyone/anyone?

Thanks again,

Kfr

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
As one suggestion, and a pretty descent place to start, and probably a minimum piece, may I suggest the Behringer products? EXCELLENT quality, and for what you get, not a whole helluvalot of money. While it is true this may be quite a bit more than you are looking for, for CAR use, a 31 band RTA by-itself could cost quite a bit more than 409 bux, and you will be able to use this item in your (I guess new?) new home theater, as well. (SEGUE! thank you for not mentioning Blose audio in your list of speakers... none of them are remotely audiophile gear) I have also found that if you do a few quick searches on the internet, you will VERY likely find this unit for quite a bit less! I am looking into this very same box for my RTA requirements as well (home, car, friends' homes, friends' cars, a few church jobs, etc.). The mic I have already purchased is the Behringer ECM8000, and their MSRP is $80.00, and I was able to buy it locally for $45.00 (this is also the mic I suggest, recommended to me by an engineer at Harman International). Look around at retailers in you area, and see if you can do something similar.
We (speaking for others here, too) are sorry, we didn't mean to say anything of the ilk that do not understand, and again, I hope I didn't push any buttons electronic v. passive crossover, opinons? - Page 2 -- posted image. The deck you have IS an excellent piece of equipment, as are all of the Eclipse higher end pieces, we are just of the idea that this is a piece that should be left to people other than mass market. An extremely flexible piece with wonderful sound quality, I just feel it really does more than it has to for most people. I expect Eclipse wanted to sell it at the level it does, just to sell more of them. It seems people like bells and whistles... I know I do. (oooh, shiny... BWAHAHAHA)
Well, I hope this gives you another solid stepping stone in your travels to audio nirvana. Good to have another member in the fold! Welcome.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

Aweome.  That unit looks fantastic and is in my price range.  It looks like a true investment piece that could serve an owner for years.  Thanks for the suggestion - I am seriously considering it.  You said you're also considering this unit, do you have any reservations about it?  Being a computer guy, I'm curious about what sound card/mic/software RTA packages are available for laptops.  It seems like that combination could be quite flexible.  Do you have any opinion about a setup like this or any experience with some packages? 

Unfortunately, the new home theater system was my friend's purchase.  He went with the energy connoisseur line.  I thought the Mirage was the smoothest and best sounding system, but he didn't like the effect of the omnipolar tweeters.  It was a close call between the b&w 600 series and the energy.  We picked the energy over the b&w because the high end of the vocal range sounded dry and strained when pushed during peaks on the b&w.  heh .. don't worry, I learned a long time ago that blose's smoke and mirrors setup doesn't impress me.  :-)

Don't worry, you didn't push any buttons.  ;-)   Thanks for the welcome.

kfr01 
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst + others,

How would you feel about this RTA setup:

True RTA software, level 3 or 4:  http://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm

Behringer ECM8000 mic

Behringer Shark DSP110 mic preamp
Creative Audigy 2 based sound card.

I've been wanting to upgrade to an audigy 2 based soundcard anyway, so this might be a way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance, kfr

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
That would be killer.  I use trueRTA software on my laptop and it is very nice.  Be sure to get the paid version...
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn, that's a good idea.  It would be much more convenient to setup an rta on my laptop than the desktop.  What sound card do you use for that application, a usb based solution?

DYohn 
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, just the OEM Dell soundcard in my D600 and the same Behringer ECM8000 mic you are considering (and the MIC100 preamp.)
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic