icon

Replacing an amp connected to a 1F cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
i never said that you dont know what youre talking about. you seem to think that i dont. so ill just let someone that i know, that knows more than you and i prove one of us wrong. if you think that your little car stereo business is above that of Tweeter's and hi fi buys, than i feel sorry for you. but for now you do it your way, and ill do it my way. oh btw, my line of work is that im a certified executive chef with a little mobile electronics hobby/ business on the side.
always looking for new info and willing to give it
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
I worked for a distributor, and the cap manufacturers all specified to use the resistor for charging initialy
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the guys at those stores are no better than anyone else technically speaking.  I have dealt with some of them and they only know what the books showed them and others for the love sound knew what was going on.  I've read some of the books and some did not even mention how to create a 4-ohm load using 2 dual voice coil speakers.  A cap is not to be charged at a high rate of speed for multi purposes.  You could ruing it or even cause it to explode.  Yes, a cap holds a charge but not as great of charge as a battery because it is designed for instant bursts of energy not constant power.  A charging transistor is best when charging a cap because it helps prolong its life span.

metalcorolla 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

speaking of caps, mine is doing some funny things.  the digital display always reads 3 volts too low. i have had the thing looked at by someone whos knows what they are doing and they said its fine other than the display.  weird huh

mikedawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
well according to some of the people on here, nobody but them knows what theyre talking about so i wouldnt even mention having someone else looking at it. most of the people that think theyre better than everybody arent even mecp certified. they just read a couple of geocities websites, install a couple of stereos and think they own a business.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
OK mabye  over reacted and Im guessing you did as well. First off I never claimed that everyone who worked in electronics stores know what they are talking about. I have  asalesman who doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground. As I said before, my point is that they supply resistors or charging and discharging pads for a reason and that they never intended for people to operate them in any other way. Simple as that. And I dont think that you dont know what you are talking about, all im saying is that what you suggested is not the proper way to do it. May still get the same end result, Im not sure of that but i do know that its not the suggested path. Im done on this subject. Hope theres no hard feelings, Im just guessing that this is a subject we arent ever going to agree on.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mikedawg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
no prob, i know that thats not the stated way that are in the instructions. i remember my first cap i bought came with the little .8 ohm resistor.  but you can also do it with a test light like some dude on here said earlier and it doesnt say to do it that way. the instructions they provide, im guessing they take the safest route to prevent anyone with no experience from messing it up some how. im sure you have your own tips and tricks to installing  to make your job faster and easier that the companies dont offer in their instructions.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic