icon

2004 siverado wiring harness

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrray13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

i was wondering where i could purchase a radio install harness for the above truck. my local dealer wants $80 for one due to the door chime ringing in the left front speaker....

i have checked all over ebay, no luck. anyone here help me out?

thanks

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

uz2bauto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

i installed a deck in one of these just the other day. metra makes a piece called vt-gmrc-01. peripheral makes gmco. and scosche makes the gmo6b.  the scosche is the cheapest which can be found at best buy for 49.99. but with this one you have to relocate the factory radio to the rear(only place for it lol) of the truck. this is the one i have the most exp. with (seeing that i work for BB). i first saw the metra vt-gmrc-01 today and it is a lot easier to install than the scosche but it is also like 30 bucks more. either one you go with, your truck does not come pre-wired with switched power/ignition power whatever you like to call it.  most chevy's are pink i think on the main harness under the steering column. but what i did for the 04 silverado i worked on was tap into the biggest brown wire on the back side of the fuse box(just follow it down a little ways and you will find its rather easy to get to.(i got this info from a tech at scosche) but the first thing you do after you get your dash apart and the radio pulled out is take the SIR 15 amp fuse out of the fuse box (under the hood, in the paperwork that comes with the harness it says it is on the inside box but it is actually outside.) next it says to undo the 2 yellow airbag connectors(i didnt do this, concidering i was told by scosche that i didnt have to that it was just an extra step for safety, but you can do it if you want) in your truck the passenger side airbag connector is under the steering column and the drivers side is under the drivers kick panel. DO NOT TURN THE SWITCH ON WITHOUT THE CONNECTORS AND FUSE BACK IN PLACE. if you do this you will need to make a trip to the dealership....so make sure you have everything back together before hitting the switch(even if it is to move the gear shift, if its an auto) but all in all not a bad vehicle to work on. and of course you know you need your dash kit and gm ant adapter. hope this helps

paint and body       
"semi-professional"
mrray13 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

wow, that's an awful lotta work! hmmm..maybe i'll just let my dealer friend install my alpine. the way he was talking i wouldn't have to do any of the relocating stuff..man..

oh well.....thanks for the info!!

uz2bauto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
the only one that you will need to relocate is by using the scosche kit....the others just have a box that can be put under the dash.
paint and body       
"semi-professional"
mrray13 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

i found the metra kit at crutchfeild....$80.00

hitting a guy up at ebay over one now....caan't find the peripherel anywhere yet......

i was wondering though....couldn't i just use the kit without the chime and lose my door dinger? i don't really like the thing anyway..and if my keys are in the ignition, i can't lock them in(unless it's running)...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
u can use a Metra 70-2003t retention harness and not use the optional speaker
mrray13 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

defective wrote:
u can use a Metra 70-2003t retention harness and not use the optional speaker

this is just the regular 24 pin? i won't have a chime after this, correct?

with gm throwing a bunch of crap into the radio, will i lose anything else by using the 70-2003t kit? i don't have on-star or anything...no steering wheel controls or monsoon...just the cd/ cassette and componets in the front doors..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
then yes..... your a prime candidate for this harness, but it IS a relocation harness, so you'll have to find somewhere to stuff the radio, should be fine, you can always rely on gm for wasting space.... there should be a couple of competely useless large cavities of space.....2004 siverado wiring harness - Last Post -- posted image.
mrray13 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

damn....i really don't want to relocate....especially since the back seat is being taken out in favor of  my subs, boxes and amps...

i guess i'm going to have to get off my cheap ass and buy the metra kit..

thanks guys..i appreciate the help!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic