icon

How much material to use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
I've been reading up a bit on glassing, and i'd like to give it a try...
I've been doing custom boxes for a while, but they've all been in MDF.
I want to make an enclosure for an infinity kappa 12.1d. They recommend 1 Cu. Ft.
Now, i want to make a corner enclosure for the trunk on my neon, kinda like the one this guy did:
How  much material to use? -- posted image.
I know what i need, and where to buy it (sort of) but the thing is i have no idea how much to buy.
I guess it comes down to how many layers of glass i need to use, and how much resin goes with it.
I don't want too order too little, and find out half way through my project i need to order more supplies, And neither do i want to end up with enough supplies to glass the whole trunk...
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Get the bigest can of resin they make Ifor get how much it is. two packs of matting and a t-shirt. the t-shirt is for your first layer cause it's stretchy. that should be all u need for a small enclosuer. as long as you don't waste to much or if your using very little wood. if your doing the hole thing in glass double up on everything. good luck
lensam69 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Somehow i think that the 165 Galon drum is a little bit too much. And they sell mats in various sizes, so your answer doesn't really help too much.
Anyone else???
forbidden wrote:
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hey man, you are right about the drum. If you are just going to do the corner of you trunk, I sugest you go to a marina or any other place where the sell boat repair supplies. If you go there, there have cloth AND mat on large rolls and it cheap!! I'd say get about 4-5 yards of the chop mat and 1 yard of the cloth for finnishing purposes (it should all come out to be under $20 for the 'glass). And if you haven't started the project yet, get a 3/4in. sheet of MDF for the bottom of the box and the ring to hold the sub. And the you can use the extra wood to support the ring. I don't know what kind of sub you are planing on, or how much power you will be pushing, but i ALWAYS use a minimum of 4 layers for strength. Thats just my opinion, other people will tell you more or less but in the end it comes down you your own preference. And as for the resin, that will run at least $25-$30 a gallon. You should get at least one, and before you do the project try something small. it will teach you how to mix the resin/hardener, and will give you a feel for 'glassing. Post pics through out you project, we want to see. Best of luck to you and i Hope i was able to help.

PS,

I don't think you should use a t-shirt. Go to wal-mart and by a yard of fleece, under $5, and it will absorbe the resin much better the a t-shirt would. GOOD LUCK!How  much material to use? -- posted image.

evol E 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

What I ment was the biggest can wal-mart sold (1 gallon) I didn't think you were going to the surplus store.3 packs of 8 sq. foot matting.  Old t shirts are usally free out of a closet and work very well swet shirts do to. Or go buy some fleece head liner silk your moms pantys what ever its only the base. Anyhow sorry for tryin to help.

lensam69 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, that helps out more... I didn't know they sold resin at wal mart.    I'll probably go to a marina, since there are quite a few marine supplies stores where i live.
And I'll probably start small, I'm thinking of doing a shoe box fiberglass enclosure for a small 6" driver i have laying around. Once i get the feel for Glass with that small project, I'll probaly do the trunk if i feel confident enough.
Anyhow... Thanks for your help. And expect pics soon.
forbidden wrote:
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

For that project you're going to need the following materials:

- 3M 2" masking tape

- plastic drop cloth
- permanent marker
- spray glue (Super 77)
- 1.5 or 2 ounce chop mat
- one gallon resin w/MEKP
- 2"-3" brushes
- 2.5 quart mixing bucket/stick
- latex gloves
- fume mask
- wood for woofer ring/ring prop
- one yard fleece or similar
- one yard carpet or trunk liner
- acetone

I use the 1.5 ounce chop mat that comes on a 4" wide roll. It speeds up the time to cover the area. For an enclosure like that you should be fine with four layers of 1.5 ounce mat. Three layers if you go with 2 ounce. I get that and good quality resin at US Composites.

Tape off the area, mark your cut line, spray it with Super 77 and lay up the first fiberglass layer. Mix up your resin and soak it all the way through to the tape. Once the first layer is finished lay up the next layer and so on. Don't mix the resin too hot or it'll try to warp on you as it cures. Let it cure in the vehicle.

Once cured, remove the fiberglass shell and peel off the tape. Set it in the sun for some more curing. Then cut out the shell and sand it to fit. Put the shell back into the trunk and secure your woofer mount where you want it.

Pull the piece back out and wrap the shell and frame with fleece. Resin this and let it cure. Sand it down and use body filler where needed. Let the filler cure and sand it again. Cut out the woofer mounting hole and your speaker terminal cup. Blow out or ShopVac the enclosure to get out the major debris.

Carpet the enclosure and wire it up. Mount the woofer and grill to finish it off.

When you're done it should look something like this:

How  much material to use? -- posted image.

Good luck!

neonlizzard 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
Neon eh?
Trunk sidewall subs eh?
I must plug one of my favourite cars
www.neonsxt.com
Go there, check it out,and let me know what you think.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic