icon

Amplify Door Speakers, get wire in?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mick0005 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

How do you all go about amping your door speakers...I will have no problem hooking them up to the am/speakers... the problem I have is getting the speaker wire into the door...I have heard of people using the existing channel that all the other facotry wiresgo through to get into the door, but its looking pretty unrealistic for me.   Ideas??

-I have a 95 Integra

p.s. sorry if this ? is answered elsewhere, I did a search and could not find it...if it is, just point me in the right direction

Raul Puente 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
all you have to do is use the existing wires
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

You could simply use the existing factory wiring if you used a wiring harness adapter at the head unit.  Just run the speaker wire from your amp back under the dash and connect to the OEM wiring.  On the other hand, there can be definate advantages to using all new wiring.  Getting it into the doors can be very difficult in some cars.  I suggest you need to remove all the carpet and plastic pieces from the kick panel area (and of course the door panels) so you can see where the wiring bundle enters and exits the doors.  Then, use a flexible piece of wire (like a thin gage coat hanger or better yet a wire snake or fish cable) to snake through the existing channel.  Be careful you don't punch through the rubber boot.  Once you get it through and visible on both sides connect your new wire to it and pull it through.

Support the12volt.com
Mick0005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

Thats pure genious...so simple I didn't even think about it...I feel dumb.  Ok...so I should just disconnect the wires for the 2 front speakers that I had initially spliced into my pioneer harness and now splice the amp wires into the wires that go to the 2 front speakers?  of course after I have already run the RCAs to my amp and stuff.

for the record...I have infiniti reference 6.5" components in the front and some Clarion 5x7s in the back...  what do you all think...better off amping the front speakers or the rears?   I also have an Alpine type S 12" on a seperate MTX Mono amp.....  I more or less just want my Sub to take care of bass and use my other speakers for some really clear mids and highs (probably use my low pass filter on my pioneer to take out all the bass)

gjones77 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Mick005

I was looking at the same issue with my 2004 Dodge Stratus. Here's what you do to see if you can use the exsisting factory channel. Just take a look at where the rubber boot is connecting from the door to the car and then just see if you can get your hand under the dash to feel for where all the wires come out.

Then from there just follow the vernerable DYohn's advice of using a flexible coat hanger. Trust me, you'd be far happier using new wires since you really don't want to have the cross over's on the component set just sitting in your door where there's a chance water can get to them, better to have them inside the car itself for safety's sake

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

Amp the front speakers.  Your best and loudest sound should be coming from the front stage.  A lot of folks, myself included, only run front speakers and don't miss the rears at all.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Mick0005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I have had my crossovers in there for quite some time now, I feel like its the best place to have them- It had factory crossovers and as such has some kind of a resevoir or place, if you will, where the crossovers can be mounted (I also put them in a plastic bag and taped it all shut in a good seal)  so as for having the crossovers in the door, I think they are alright (but absolutly thanx for the tip)  My next question is... do u all think I would be better off going off the existing wiring, so as I dont have to mess with getting wires in the door, or do you guys think I should hassle with it...and put new wiring in?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

New wires would be better, that's what I'd do.  But it can be a pain in the ass.  I always feel like it would be a shame for something like that to be the 'weak link' in a system. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
I've never had a problem using the factory speaker wiring in any car I've ever worked on as long as the wiring is intact and there are no hidden crossovers or amps (which you can test using an ohm meter and checking continuity) and as long as I'm running 100 watts per channel or less.  If you only have a stereo amp, it should be used for the front set.  Hide the crossovers in the door, and if you're worried about moisture your plastic bag idea would work, or just use double-back carpet tape and stick them to the inside metal so they don't lay in the bottom of the door (where any moisture will be.)  It also keeps them from rattling around and possibly pulling loose.
Support the12volt.com
Mick0005 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx everyone for the posts...I think I will try to existing wiring first...since it is much easier, and see if I am satisfied, if not, I will get to work on those doors...  thanx again!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic