icon

Alpine components?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone got some experiance with the type R components   SPR-176A?  I NEED to upgrade my speakers, but I don't have the $$$ for another amp so I would be running them from an Eclipse 8443.  So would I be better off with some coaxials or 3-ways without an amp or can components like these sound nice off lower wattage?  My other option would be some eclipse 3 ways or comperable brand.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to do things right, then buy the components that you like the sound of, if this happens to be the Alpines so be it. Now knowing full well that these speakers will not play to their hearts desire, you can add an amp at a later date, much later if necessary, to bring them to life. This is much better than puting in a basic but good sounding coax only to upgrade to compents later on. Buy your audio once, do it right the first time. I would put up with inefficent components and the time it takes to save money for an amp anyday as compared to putting in a cheaper coax. Your Eclipse has a good little amp in it and I have used it many times to power components only to add an amp at a later date.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

Well mabey I should elaborate a little more...

I do have an RF 160a2 I could use, but I am a fan of the spatial effect of 4 channel sound.  So I could just put some new door speakers in and run them from the RF amp, or I could run 4 channel from the HU, I don't have the money for a component amp with 4 channels cause I'm pretty sure I would have some charging problems with too much more of a draw on my alternator.  I got a good size PPI amp driving my sub.  SO really the other main issue I have is 2 channel w/amp or 4 channel from HU?

fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 sets of the spr-176a's and they are powered by a pcx 440.   They sound great.  I like them better than the kenwood dual mags and the JL xr series.  (They sounded better to me at the shop) If you ran the amp to the front set of components you won't be disappointed.  I had to install my stuff piece by piece because I had to have ACL reconstruction Alpine components? -- posted image. and even when I had only one set and my sub playing it sounded great.  They will definately sound better if you have them running off an amp.

"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

Use the amp to power the front component speakers and use the Eclipse's built in amp to power the rear fill speakers. If you want you can add a basic hp filter (bass blocker) to the rear speakers as a safety guard. A pair of 200mf non polar mylar caps wired into the + speaker lead on each rear speaker will accomplish this. Your Rockford amp will probably have a hp filter in it to safeguard the front speakers. This should be fine onyour electrical system and sound mighty fine when you are done.

shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
OK so I'm with you on that, what should I put in the rear, and will the sould blend well enough? 
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
->sould  --> SOUND damn keyboard....
forbidden 
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
Rear speakers are for the most part the least important in the vehicle. They are they for fill only, thus you do not want to have too much output as you  will find it pulls your ears towards the rear of the vehicle to listen to your sound. Keep it simple in the rear, a good set of coax speakers with the bass blockers is a gret way to start. If you do not already have the front components head out and listen to different brands, buy what you like the sound of and can afford. Personally I will try and match my speakers for tone and timbre as best as possible, this usually means that the speakers I choose are of the same brand and quite often the same model or as close to it as possible.
shaman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well I think I will go with a set of components driven by the RF amp, assuming my alternator can keep up.  I would eventually like to put some 8's in the back and run the sytem in PRO configuration.  But it could be more than year before I do that.  A friend of mine also has an 8443 and he's got a pair of JL 8W0's to run the rears, so when he gets that together I'll have to have a listen.  But other than the ALpines who els has good compenet set without getting out of the 250 range.  
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
I had two JL 8W0's running off just a PPI PC225 and they sounded great, until they got ripped off.  Sounds like you have good tasteAlpine components? -- posted image..  I really like all the speakers you are contemplating and I would definately recommend them.  They have the spx-177a's in crutchfield for 229$ right now.
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic