icon

1232 W's and JBL 1200.1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mrhunter 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

I have a couple of Infinty 1232W's. I am going to purchase a new amp. I was looking at a couple of different ones.

JBL BP1200.1

JBL GTO1201.1

I am still trying to figure out if there is a difference between the 2. And if so Which one would be better suited. They are around the same price.

I am looking for opinions on the amps and the setup. I would eventually like to upgrade the subs and keep the amp if they do run the RMS power they state. I am looking for something around the $300.00 range to fit in the budget.

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Also can I run the 1232w's at 1 ohm? Or will it damage them? They are 4 ohm subs.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
If the are single voice coil subs and they are 4 ohm than its not possible to run them at one ohm. The lowest load you can run them at is 2 ohm. It comes down to what load your amp can handle. If you worded that wrong thats fine but if you actually thought that running the lower impedence could damage the subs than you probally dont have the proper knowleadge nessasary to install this system and should get a proffesional to do it. I am not knocking you at all Im just trying to save you from making a costly error.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

The subs are DVC. And I am asking that question for the knowledge. I would like to learn how to do things for myself. I am someone that would rather try it myself and fail then just pay someone else to do it. I get the satisfaction out of completing a project myself and if I need to get the advice and info from others. Even if there are problems than it is a learning experience. Ill pick up what I learned and use it next time.

The value is 10 times more when its your sweat and tears.

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

The amp is suppose to be able to run at 2 ohms optimized and 1 ohm stable. What that means Im not sure. I guess its more of an interpretation.

And I figured I would ask here since this seems to be the best place to learn about car audio for a novice like myself. Just about everyone seems to have great knowledge in here and only actually replies when they know what they are talking about. Like yourself. You have helped me on a few different posts and I appreciate that.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, the one statement about how the amp is 2 ohm stable and optimized for one ohm doesnt make alot of sense. Is it possible you have that backwards and it is one ohm stable and optimized for two ohms. If an amp is only 2 ohm stable it cant be one ohm optimized unless they are saying 2 ohm mono and one ohm stereo. And back to the subs, if the amp is indeed only 2 ohm mono stable and one ohm stereo I am  afraid that you dont have a very good match up. You will need to wire each sub in parrelell and then the two subs in series. This will give you a 4 ohm load which isnt gonna give you the most power out of that amp but is the only safe load to run when you are using 4 four ohm voice coils. And as I said before I wasnt at all slamming you, I just hate seeing people buy equipment and then wreck it because of a stupid mistake in wiring or something else equally dumb. Thats why I talked about seeking local help, but if you are confident than go for it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

No its suppose to be 1 ohm stable and 2 ohm stable like in the previous post. So what are your opinions now?

Im learning. Probably an expensive way but learning none-the-less.

And Ive already learned not to wire the subs to run a 1 ohm loan on an amp that  should be at 4 ohms bridged the hard way.

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
The BP1200.1 is 1 ohm stable, but pushes the same amount of power at 1 or 2 ohms.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thoughts on the amp or setup?
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  
perhaps it means that at "2 ohms optimized" it performs the best (most efficient, clearer, etc etc), but it is stable at 1 ohm.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic