icon

Need some power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'm getting 2 RFR3110 HX2 subs. Now the RFR's handle 2000watts a piece max and I want to try to be able to nail their RMS of around 1000 watts which means I need something that can push ~1000 watts. Each subs going to be wired down to 1 Ohm and will be powered by its own amp. My question is what would u guys use to power these bad boys? I'm looking to spend under a grand for the amps as I'm spending over 400 for the subs and I'm not made of money Need some power -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
m2k_us 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  

to get the most power out of your system i would invest in a 2 farad or greater capacitor to power your amps as well. You standard car batt. is not strong enough to produce the knid of power you need and you will kill your batt if you dont install a capacitor and your system will sound a lot better. You can buy tham at frys or best buy and places like that for about  $120

davids2004 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hifonics bx1000 best bang for your buck.  1000 rms at 1 ohm.  You must have dvc 2 ohm subs.
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
no offence bout the cap but no s**t, I'm not an ameture at this stuff, I'm getting 2 optimas to go with a 5 farad cap my friend is sell'n me so actual power isn't an issue. I'm just lookin for some opinions on which amps to peep out to power these bad mo-fo's
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Heres an Idea for ya. Wire the subs to one ohm a piece and then series them together to get  a 2 ohm load and the use an orion 2500 D. they generally bench at around 2400 watts rms at 2 ohms so you will have plenty of power. Also if you run the amp at 2 ohms as oposed to using amps at 1 ohm the genereal rule of thumb is that your dampning factor is gonna be better on an amp running 2 ohm as opposed to 1 ohm. Im guessing his isnt for an SQ system but it never hurts for stuff to not sound like sh*t. Its Dampning factor is also important if you do ported enclosures being that you need to be able to control those drivers.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
The kind of juice you are talking about drawing will need a little more than just an additional battery and a cap.  You might want to look into upgrading your alternator.  Two batteries will help you to listen longer while you are parked but they need something to keep them charged.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Fuseblower is very very correct.  Also, by upgrading your alternator, you can keep the voltage up in your system, which equates to more wattage out of your amp.
xtreamcc 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I had thought about that, anyone got some suggestions as to what would be a good alternator for this kind of job?
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
yes a extra batt and cap will be great IFyou get a good HO alt. 250 amps would be good for you. run just 1 amp. you will have a hard time getting both amps to play the same. U.S. Amps makes some high out put amps the will do what you wan't.
Big Dave
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
i'm surprised that dyohn and forbidden haven't jumped on this thread yet. adding all those caps really isn't the solution you're looking for. fuseblower had nailed it.....you really need a better alternator. having the caps and the extra battery won't hurt you, but the one thing that will help you the most is the alternator. look up some of the previous posts related to this topic. it's been explained over and over again.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic