icon

Is it too much

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
I have a set of Panasonic CJ-DD133 5 1/4 speakers in the front doors of a 94 Dodge Spirit.  They are running of of HU power. They are rated at amp power range of 2 to 35 watts.  If I use my Lightning Audio F and F amp rated at 50@2 at 4ohms will this be too much power for the speakers? 
Harv
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
You can always try it and replace the speakers if they break up at higher volumes.  You would want something that will handle at least 35-50 watts anyway if you like some loud volume now and then.  But you shouldn't worry that you'll ruin them instantaniously, because you would hear the distortion and would turn them down.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
is that 50 watts per channel and two channels, or 50 watts per channelsat 2 ohms? It'll make a difference. If the 50 X 2 spec is the one we are interesed in, then you will just have to be very careful with the gain control, making sure it is set absolutely correctly. If the spec you have is 50 X 2 @ 2 ohms, then you should be OK, as your amp should only make 25 to 30 watts into them (but still be careful with the gain). I am only giving you both scenarios, as I am not absolutely certain of what you were saying in your original question. Whatever happens, make certain your gain control is set correctly, and it does not matter how much power tham CAN make.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I feel like I give this advice a lot, but here it goes, just call me mr. crossover.

If you're going to start pushing your 5-1/4" speakers with an amplifier remember to cross them over above 100hz.  Shoot, even if you decide to continue to power them with your head unit, I'd order some bass blockers from sounddomain or crutchfield.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

Stevdart,   I don't want to ruin the speakers.  That was the best $12.00 I ever spent in my life.  They were on clearance at Circuit City and it seems like a lot of places are getting rid of 5.25 speakers.  I'm running HU power right now and these speakers sound great.  I figure amplified would be even better.  The tweeters are rated at 50 KHZ.  I have treble set to -2 on my HU and they still sound clear.  Thanks for the advice guys. Cross over above 100hz sounds good Bass blockers also.

Harv

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic