Integrating LEDs w/ rear turn signals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SVBadGuy2004 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

I believe this is my first post so I'm going to try to make it simple...

I am currently in the process of practicing relay setups.  For my first project, I want to do the following described application on my motorcycle:

Two rear turn signals: Left and Right

Two rear liscense plate LED bolts (there are also two LED washer lenses up front hooked up to a switch in parallel [4 LEDs total to one switch] ).

I want to try to integrate a relay (or most likely two relays) into this cercuit so that when the LED switch is on and I turn on my turn signals, the two LEDs on either side will flash at the same time the blinkers do.  When the LED switch is off, obviously I want the blinkers to function normally.  I've been reading this forum for a while now and I still have yet to build the proper level of confidence to tackle this project. 

Can you guys/gals give me some ideas as far as what I will need to accomplish this?  Either draw some diagrams or write it out and I will draw the diagrams and you can check my work.  As I said, this is my way of learning how to use relays.  I am planning on starting up a small business for neon and car stereo installations and I know that having relay knowledge under my belt will give me more room to work along with driving in more business.

Thank you in advance.

Matt

SVBadGuy2004 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

edit for last this topic:

The title should actually be Integrating LEDs w/ turn signals (not just the rear turn signals).  My relays will probably be somewhere in the rear so I was just thinking about the rear turn signals...my bad!Integrating LEDs w/ rear turn signals - Last Post -- posted image.

insanity 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
quick n painless.. just a suggestion.. there is a little box available at most auto parts stores.. (auto zone, o'reily, napa) made for wiring tail lights on trailers.. we used to use them for integrating turn sigs into bike brake lights.. (ie.. left brake bulb for left turn sig, right bulb for right sig).. brake lights still function correctly!! could be used to connect those led's at the same time!!
SVBadGuy2004 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the heads up insanity.  That would actually work well for what I'm trying to do and I'll definately keep that in mind.  I still want to try it with relays just to get used to installing them.  The more practice I have with them, the easier and quicker I can get a job done.  But again, thank you for the tip!!  Integrating LEDs w/ rear turn signals - Last Post -- posted image.
insanity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
there is a 4 relay setup i used before i was turned on to those little boxes... when i was just starting installing the guys in the shop where i worked helped me with it... you have input from turn sigs, from tail light wires and from brake light wires.. output to tail lights.. when the lights are on, tail lights function, when brake lever is pulled, brake lights come on, when turn sig is on with brakes.. the brake light on that side flashes and the opposite stays solid.. i think you might have to wire it differently to have those extra led lights stay solid with lights but flash with signals... surely someone here can help with that one.. if i can find my diagram.. i will post it!!!.. good luck!
insanity 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
heres another one to try... using the latching relay diagram on this site... i had a wheelie light under my bike.. fog light mounted under bike pointing down on about 45 degrees... when ur vertical it makes a great headlight... wanted to use factory switches so there were no aftermarket visible... tap back brake to turn on and tap the horn for off!!  was trick and kept ppl guessing.. i went through a bad phase of playing with relays.. fog lights... turn sigs... alarm (with remote start)... it was pretty bad!! had relays tied up half way down the subframe!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic