icon

Installer Pay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  

I worked for Circuit City for almost 11 years as sales counselor/ installer/ asst. manager for car stereo. back in the day we had to bug the manager to give us raises. i was always under the assumption that when you did good, you would be rewarded for it. I busted my butt and still had to beg. one way I got a good raise was I left to go to work for a small mom-n-pop shop for 7 months. I asked the manager at Circuit City if they wanted me back, he said yes, and i got a 2 dollar an hour raise. 2 dollars in 7 months, pretty good. that was then.

this is now, you only get raises twice a year at Circuit City. a max of 50 cents at each review. so it is possible to recieve a 1 dollar an hour raise, but in reality you most likely won't. not many people will, if any . you can't suppliment your income with commission any more, so you're kinda stuck.

you said you're not happy installing, so the solution is simple, leave. I quit Circuit when the fired most of the commisioned salespeople in feb. of 2003. 95% of the friends I made at Circuit were let go for "cost cutting measures". Leaving was the hardest thing I ever did, but in the end it was the best descision I ever made. good luck.

eckardjd 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hello another new guy here.  This is an interesting thread to me becuase I relocated to Bakersfield CA about a year ago, and having a fairly high tech background, I was have trouble finding a job.  I have always been in to car audio and thought I'd try applying at a few shops in the area.  So after do a little homework on the local shops I went after the one with the best rep.  I emailed the owners my homepage address of my car and custom work, and a copy of my resume.  I couldn't believe it but he hired me with no real experience.  Well I've been working there since the end of Jan, and am now producing like there top installer.  I get 50% commish, avg $950 every two week since prolly my 2nd month working there, and have hade my work posted on Rosen web site, car shows, even met the JBL boyz, Gary Biggs and Mark Eldridge, at a class they heald in LA my boss asked me to go to with.  Preety cool considering I don't think I learned anything I really didn't already know.  Got to see their rides and hear them though.  Must say its nice to have a sponser.  But the glass work was perfection ather than some cracking paint.

Anyway I guess I'm safe to say I picked up this type of work and am not doing to bad.  But the amount of time I work just kicks my butt and is ruining my relationship wih my fiance.  How many hours do you guys avg a day.  Our shop is a 9-6pm deal, but I ussually get home aroung 8pm mon-sat.  Ive done some nights till 1-3am for cars in shows the next day.  Sucks. No money is worth this much effort. 

Jerey

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Welcome to car audio..... 1-3am is very common.   You are representing yourself aswell as your shop, as much as you think your only helping your employer, people will remeber you and every extra hour under your belt will be attributed to your rep as an installer.

I have alot of respect for installers who will go that extra bit to do it right.  I'm like that and i know it's hard on relationships and social life.    It only leads to social respect later.   When your at the shop at 2a.m., working on those tiny details, just think of what those details will mean at the show you are attending the next day. They are more than worth it.   Any reasonable employer will take notice that you are giving all you can for their name, and will support you accordingly.

Then there's KTS....... dicks

maybe i should take them out of my sig.   it's about time.

5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I've always have been one to listen to those who have gone before. So thanks. I'll be moving to Fontana California soon so if there is anyone out that way that is in need of an installer let me know! Like i said i really really am ready to leave Circuit Town. I hear alot about preloading alarms for dealerships. It sounds like something i can do... but i'm not too familiar with how the whole thing works. like how do you get paid and stuff.
mobilevt 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2004 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  

5150azn,

Fwd me your resume.  I'm based in Riverside, Ca.

Sean

Emergency Vehicle Technician
Got Freedom? Thank a vet!
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you for posting. I've sent you an E-mail. If you haven't recieved it please let me know. My address is garysisombath2003@yahoo.com Thanks again.
Gary
silverado94 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

ive never worked in a install shop but i learned alot from people that have done it for yrs . but 700.00 is a good pay every 2 wks . i be hitting the boss up for a raise real quick . if he doesnt want to give in i give him a 2 weeks notice and find some place else .

i started on my own installing stereo's and amp's . i didnt charge all that much i just wanted to see if i could do it without sending my customer to a shop and shell out more cash . for me it didnt take much for a side job .....a few $100.00 and time on the weekends .

12voltassassin 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Check this out basically from learning you just have to be your own boss and dictate your pay based on how high end of custom work  your capable of.  If your not any good at fiber glass or bondo work in general your not going to make what you want. 
i hate ebay they are stealing my business
brian8395 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

5150azn wrote:
Hey guys I'm new here and like to say hi.
I was just wondering your guys' take on my situation.
I've been installing for Circuit sh*ty for a little over 2 years. I was an installer at their #1 volume store in the company. I just relocated to Southern California. I am very unhappy installing there. I get $700 every two weeks not including bonus, which goes up to $300. Should I suck it up and stay there and ask for more money? Or can I make more money and deal with less B.S. at Good Guys, Best Buy, or a mom an pop shop?

i dont know what your doing wrong, ive been with circuit city for less time than you have and i make more than you...

5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ohhhh Yeah! Say Hurray for me! No more Circuit City for me! Just got hired with one of the top custom install shops in the US. Honestly I didn't think I would be worthy enough to work at a place like this. Though I'm not making more money and I have to drive 45mins 1 way. I hate Circuit City that much! I'll give you guys details later.
Today I am one happy installer
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic