icon

Help For Nice System for Ford Tempo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I have a '92 Ford Tempo, and i just bought a JVC KDG30 head unit. its pretty decent, i mainly bought it because it was somewhat cheap and it plays mp3's. before i get amps and subs, i want to get the best "4 speaker setup" that i can get. Now i bought 2 kenwood kfc-6979ie 6" X 9" speakers for my rears they handle 240 watts of power, but i havent put them in yet. my front speakers are 5.25" i believe, i have a pair of 6.5" "Verge" somethins, that handle like 90 watts of power.

i havent put them in yet because they wont fit, and my door panel has a 3 hole setup instead of a 4.

now, are the two kenwoods worth keeping, because i read that they were really good b4 i bought them.. i know the 2 6.5's probably arent that good, so any suggestions for some relatively inexpensive front speakers i should get?

i have a Rockford Fosgate 1600 watt amp and 2 12" MA 1200 watt subs in a box but im not putting that stufff in until i get an alarm and get my trunk fixed because some1 broke my trunk and stole my old speakers..

So all i really need is some suggestions for my head unit and 4 speaker setup for now, is what i have good?..and if not what can i get to better my system that wont cost me an arm and a leg..any help would be appreciated.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  

1)  Don't look at the max power ratings.  They don't mean anything for practical use.  Look at rms.

2)  How much are you looking to spend?
3)  Your door speakers are 5.25?
4)  What kind of music are you listening to?
5)  Are you going for quality or just volume?

"best" and relatively inexpensive are tough to work w/ man, give us some $ limits and other info and we'll be happy to give more specific recommendations.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Well, there really is no "great" sounding 4 speaker set up without an amp. However, your kenwoods will be alrite, they arent in the same class as MB quart, focal, eclipse, etc but they arent bottom of the line. You can do better. I would forget your 6.5 all together. Those wont be what you are looking for. Check out any of the brands i mentioned to try to find a set in your price range. But as posted before me, dont just look at peak, taht means nothing, pay attention and plan around the RMS ratings.
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  
keep in mind that you have like practically no depth in the fron doors for speakers so if you dont want to build door pods or kick pods then you will need to go with something like a pioneer speaker in front or something equally thin
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
nychris2004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

so u think i should get some 5.25"'s?. would i be able to use a saw and cut the holes to fit?

or are there any 6.5"'s that dont have as much depth, cuz ur right my old speakers are like 1" deep

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

What you need to do is determine the actual mounting depth of the door.  Then look for quality speakers that will fit that location.  Cutting holes work to expand speaker locations, but normally 6.5" speakers are even deeper than 5.25" speakers.  If you can't find good speakers that will fit then follow Ravendarat's advice and build up door brackets or kick pods.  Focal makes a slim series speaker that I hear are excellent.  You'll be paying close to $300 for the pair online. 

nychris2004 
Copper spacespace
nychris2004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

think those will be alright?..i know theyre cheap but will they be decent|?

kfr01 
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Go to circuit city, listen to them, and see if you'll be satisfied.

destin 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

Between the speakers and the door panel there is quite alot of space, cutting some sort of material to lift the speaker out a bit from the metal might be a good idea, as long as it is strong, and is properly sealed to the metal (silicone?). I know in my 89 topaz there is quite alot of space to mount my clarion 5.25 inch component speakers... and they aren't any smaller than other speakers that ive seen. As a matter of fact, there is proabably about an inch of free room behind the speaker.... And about the 4 hole problem... you gotta get out the good old drill... i think most speakers are 4 holes.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic