the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

jbl 1200.1 sq

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
evanc wrote:

but I want some opinions to find out if upgrading the quality of the amp will help my sound out. 

A big difference, IMO, is to run the sub at 4 ohms instead of the now-customary 2 or lower load.  Especially with using the bigger 15", because all specs will be as rated including the important damping factor.  The recovery time Rob spoke of.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
evanc wrote:

I had a 15" Brahma ported tuned to 28-30 hz or so off the JBL 1200.1 and the volume there was plenty.  It all got stolen a few weeks ago, so I am working up new plans for another setup.  My only concern with this setup was the SQ.  It was good but I want better if possible, so I want this setup SQ oriented, rather than SQL.

Maybe you should try sealed instead?  This is the only way I could see you getting better SQ.  You could also wait for our larger Koda drivers to come out, and use less power.  They have the SQ of the Brahma's, but with less throw and much more efficient.  So if you are looking for pure SQ, they would be a better way to go.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

What it usually lacks vs. smaller drivers is speed. This being the ability to recover and hit a higher frequency with authority.

This is a very common belief, but unfortunately isn't true.  Please read this white paper to see why this is true: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/WooferSpeed.pdf

forbidden wrote:
In this case for an SQ system I will always choose a sealed box and revert to a sub that I have used for this application for the last 5 years, the Eclipse aluminum series. Each sub needs a 1.25 cu.ft. sealed box and will do much more than you would expect a sub to do. They are not cheap by any means but are a proven SQ sub contender that if asked to play to a respectable SPL level, most certainly can deliver.

You really need to come to our shop and audition the Brahma.  I think you will be blown away by the SQ it has.  The Eclipse sub is a great overhung design.  But our XBL^2 motor is much more linear than overhung motors, and thereby produces a lot less distortion.  Because of this, the Brahma is considered by many to be one of the best SQ subs on the market. 

In fact, this has been proven recently in the home audio market.  In the recent issue of Stereophile's Ultimate AV our Sadhara driver went up against several other subs, all costing a great deal more.  This includes the Servodrive Contrabass.  We blew away everyone in distortion levels.  If you get a chance, check it out.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all your help fellas,  you guys have answered questions I had not even gotten a chance to ask yet, you must have read my mind.  However, my first question is still up in the air.  With all the factors stated here so far, sealed box, right power, right size woofer, etc....  would there be a difference in sound quality between the JBL 1200.1 and a different amplifier, provided they both provided ample power to the driver.  And if so, what would be some good amplifiers to power this woofer which I could purchase online for no more than about $700?

Once again, Thanks.

Evan

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=12984

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13022

I'd try to go with the second one at a 4 ohm load, although it comes a wee bit over budget.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
I was actually thinking of that one as well, but would it be worth the extra 450 bucks to go with that opposed to the JBL, SQ wise?  Would I physically hear that kind of difference.
stevdart 
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
That's a tough call to make.  The 24 db slope is going to make the difference, among other things.  If it is in your price range, and you have the enclosure right, consider it.  If something like that is seriously over budget, that's another thing.  If the sub system becomes the big money focal point of your system, and the mids and highs don't match up in quality, then its no use to make the upgrade.
sandt38 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
JBL BPs and SQ do not go hand in hand. Sealed will be best for SQ of course, and bigger sealed will be even more beneficial. With that in mind, I suggest less power and a cleaner amp. Class D simply will not do if SQ is the goal. I suggest the Cadence Z9000. I run a Z7000 for mine (~1680 benched watts) and the differance between class A and D is definately noticeable. The feature set on the Z9000 is nicer as well.
USA Car Audiohas them. I have some pics of the new amps (they look really sweet) but Cadence' site, and USA CarAudio don't have the new amps up. Unfortunately the server they are on is crashed right now... Gimme till tomorrow and I'll post the amps pics here if you would like.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic