icon

Setting Gains on a Line Out Converter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I know this topic has been done a number of times but I haven't seen an answer for this.  My set up is in a 94 Dodge Spirit.  I have a Power Acustik Fire and Ice F12x-300 amp bridged to a Sony XS-L1037 sub in a .75 CU FT box.  I also have a Scoche Line Out converter because my HU doesn't have Rca jacks.  I understand setting gains on the amp.  How do I set the gains on the  LU converter also?  Thanks in advance.
Harv
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
How many watts does the head unit produce, and how many watts can the LOC handle?  But hey, if you don't know, try setting it at about 1/2 and then adjust the gain on your amplifier.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 03, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

I am using line out converters, too, so this question has also been nagging me.  Here's what I have determined:  Some amps can take up to 4 volts input, some take up to 6 volts.  A stock OEM deck will often put out more than 6 volts, unlike the aftermarket decks that put out less.  The gains on the converter will limit the voltage to the amp, so that the signal is clean for the amp to work with.

The gain is set on the converter first, while the amp gain is all the way down.  Read the voltage output at the amp's speaker outputs while adjusting the converter, with the deck at maximum clean volume.  Figuring that the amp you have may work with no more than 4 volts input, read the voltage on speaker L + and speaker R - (full bridged reading) to get to 4 AC volts.  The speakers can be unhooked while you do this.  I do not know if this is the correct procedure, though.

Then, adjust the amp gain with the meter probes first on L channel, then on R channel.  For example, if the amp is rated at 2 X 50 RMS @ 4 ohms, the voltage reading would be 14.14 AC volts.  While making both converter and amp gain adjustments, a test tone in the frequency range of the speakers has to be playing through the CD, try at 1000 Hz and 2000 Hz.

Without the test CD and the multimeter, the gains on the converter might be at  about the halfway point (as DYohn suggested) to get to 4 volts, because it adjusts from 9 volts down to 1.  You may find, as I did, that a slight adjustment of the converter gains will clean up the sound, as you are listening and doing the fine tuning of the system.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
The HU  JVC KS-FX12 specs say 16 watts/Channel RMS  40 watts/channel peak.  The Scosche LO converter can handle 75 watts.
Harv
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart gave you the best answer to your question above.
Support the12volt.com
harvey1959 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
OK,   I have a multimeter, however it is not digital.  Is there a website that I can download test tones to CD.  The amp is rated at 2 X 75 RMS @ 4 ohms.  Would it still measure at 14.14 AC volts.   If I can't download a test tone then the halfway point on the converter and amp sounds safe.
Harv
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Tone generators here or here.  I used the latter to make a test tone CD.  Use the Ohm's law formula for finding voltage when you know the nominal impedance and the power in watts, E = SQ RT(P X R).  You would measure for 17.32 volts at each channel for amp gain setting, using different and various frequencies to find the highest output.  Disconnect speakers, just one terminal on each so they are easier to hook back up.  Have the deck at max clean output. 

As far as "halfway on the amp sounds safe", no it wouldn't be.  Halfway on the converter might be safe, but not the amplifier.  If you can't measure for 4 volts to set the LOC, try halfway (mine are set just slightly above the halfway point).  With the amp gain, if you can't measure with a meter, use your ear (with music) after the LOC has been set.  Use the test tones ONLY with speakers unhooked and using a meter, because sine waves will quickly heat up the voice coils, and they will get smelly real fast.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic