icon

Help with subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spokman 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  

My sub doesn't seem to do much. I"m looking for a recommendation for a new sub. My car is a Ford Explorer, I have an Eclipse head unit, 6.5" Diamond M5's, and a Precision Power PPX480. I'm putting 80w to the speaks and 320w to the sub. My current sub is a 12 Infinity Kappa. I'm thinking of stepping down to a 10". What do you all think I should get. Sub $200 level. I'm not into bumping base, want to be able to feel hard hits though.

Thanks!

icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
10 in. infinity kappa perfect 10.1 would be perfect for you, no question
I just put 2 in my explorer, one in the stock sub location and another opposite it and they sound amazing. 320 watts would be just about perfect for them too. Definately consider that sub very strongly. It can be had at crutchfield for 150 bucks, a steal IMO for such a great woofer.
spokman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sold on the Kappa's. I have a Kappa and it's just not performing like I thought it would. Would rather try another brand.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of amp are you using for the sub?    Might be garbage...... don't shop for car audio at Wallmart.
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
When you say you're running 320W to the amp is that the Amp's advertised (peak) power?? Or true RMS ?
Just today i hooked up a JBL 180.2 to a Kappa perfect 12.1d and it really doesn't do much for the sub...
When they say it handles 350W Rms, i guess they were refering to a minimum Help with subwoofer -- posted image.
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

180 watts RMS isn't going to be able to make a kappa pound.

spokman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you think a PPX amp is garbage, hey what can I say.. That's 320w RMS to the sub. Last I heard you can't buy Precision Power at Walmart...
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
I heard the kappa at the store, and I think the perfect is better. Might not be much to your ear, but certainly seems good to me.
You could try a good alpine. The kappa perfect would probably work wonders for you, its even more efficient than the regular kappa so you would get even more out of that 320 watts. If nothing else go try out a JL w3v2 but when I compare the perfect and that JL I say the perfect beats it hands down. I would almost compare it to the w6v2 I heard at the store, but then I don't know how they were powering that w6v2, so it could be the store, but now that I have my 10.1's running I would swear by them.
The biggest question though is what kind of music do you listen to. If you are going for quality, JL or Infinity is going to be your best bet really, for that kind of money for sure. But if you don't like the infinity, then I don't know what to say other than go to a store and listen.
spokman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
I think mine is a Perfect to tell the truth. 12" though. Maybe I'm just expecting something that it's not really designed for. Also my enclosure is not custom. It's a subzone. Do you think a 10" in a custom box would give me a little harder hitting base. Not looking for loud but want to be able to feel it sometimes.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
You should try building a custom box for your 12" perfect first.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic