icon

Kicker 2 ohm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
julez 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

just purchased kicker 650.4 ( 4 x 120 Watts @ 4 ohm )  or ( 4 x 170 @ 2 ohm ).

so i am going to wire 1 pair tweeters ( in series ) to 1 channel

and 1 pair mid range ( in series ) to another channel.

and the same on the other side of the vehicle.

has anyone here tried this method for there front end?? if so please let me know what the sound was like....was it better running 2 speakers in series ( giving 2 ohm rather than 1 speaker ( in 4 ohm )

i have not purchased front speakers yet so let me know what would be a good choice..

Thanks guys..

Other system details include.

Rockford symetry unit.

2 x rockford power 500s  each connected to 1 10" DVC rockford subs.

julez 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
sorry i ment parallel connection..
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

you are going to have 4 speakers on each side of your car aside from the low end?

Quad L Handyman services
julez 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

4 speakers each side at the front, yes...but they will be high end..

1-pair tweeters, each side (channel 1 and 2 )

1-pair mid range, each side ( channel 3 and 4 )

8 speakers in total in front

all cut over frequencys will be, pre amp via rockford system unit ( Epx ) 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

So you are trying to make a killer front soundstage from what I gather and are going to be using double sets of speakers to accomplish this and at the same time parallel wiring all the speakers to 2 ohms per channel to get the most out of the amp. What are you going to be using to control the frequencies to these speakers? Are you after SQ or SPL for this system? You also should use the realistic 12.5 volt rating for your amp rather than using the best case scenario of always having 14.4 volts or better at your disposal. Thus the power ratings of your amp are 4 x 70w @ 4ohm or 4 x 135w @ 2 ohm. For SQ purposes you are far better off runing at 4 ohms rather than at 2. At 2 ohms everything basically doubles, things like heat (affects SQ), damping factor, current draw and the list goes on. Sure a gain of 3db is possible but at the expense of wound quality.

There are many questions yet to be asked and the first one is what speakers are you going to use in what vehicle and how are you going to separate the frequencies between the speakers properly if you plan on going this route. If it was myself I would use either 2 large 2 channel amplifiers to drive each set of components through their respective passive crossovers and drive them at 4 ohms. A substitute to the 2 2 channel amplifiers would be one large 4 channel amp driven at 4 channels at 4 ohms again through the proper respective crossovers. A note here that in order to gain the 3db difference in output levels a amp double the size in watts rms must be used. Thus if you have a 50 watt x 2 amp, a 3db gain means that a 100w x 2 amp must be used. I'm sure that Dyohn and some of the other will offer their .02 on this as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
Too many speakers.  You're going to muddy up the sound, although right now I know you are just imagining the system.  Don't imagine that much stuff.  More doesn't always make better.  Get a pair of high quality components, and use your 4 channel amp to power them.  Bi-amp the components, using two channels for the tweeters and two channels for the mids...and you'll be ahead of the rest of the class.  Do you have a local dealer where you can audition some components?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic