icon

house speakers in car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

I got a 92 tempo, and i posted before about some 6.5" speakers...well heres what i did

i put  my kenwood 6'9's as my front speakers in the doors, dont ask hgow they fit i got real creative, then i put my 6.5 "s  where the 6X9's were, and then i put 2 house speakers in my trunk laying down facing up. and hooked them up with the 6.5's . both of these have 8" woofers on them, and now i cant turn my volume half way up without it hurting my ears cuz the speakers are so loud even tho they are attached directly to the head unit , no amp. the bass is crazy, it really sounds like i have a pair of decent subs hooked up to an amp (even from the outside, i already was asked by my friends what i put in my trunk...

Any1 ever try this, and is there any harm in doing this?

Plusso 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I did this with my Bass Guitar Amplifier.
I run 260 watts into a 15" speaker in the back.
I don't usually have it running when I have people sitting in the back because the vibrations hurt their chest.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
What are you worried about hurting, your hearing?
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

how did you wire the house speakers to the 6.5's (parallel or series?) And what is the impedance of all the speakers? The only way you would hurt anything is if you place too big of a load on the headunit. You should be alright either way, as a lot of home speakers are 6 to 8 ohms.Or pushing the headunit into clipping would hurt too. Otherwise, if it sounds good - go for it!

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Actually I was wrong (brainfart). If you wired them parallel and the house speaks are 8 ohm and the 6.5's are 4 ohms, you're hu would see a 2.66 ohm load per rear channel, which is lower than most can handle. If you wired them parallel, you will probably soon be frying your hu's amp.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Chevy on this.  The deck's days are now numbered.  If you want the deck to last, and provide you with tunes in the future, make a decision on one set of speakers for the rear and build it properly.  Chest thumping bass comes with outboard amplification, and done right the system will thump your chest for years to come.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
Sort of on the subject...My friend placed a DJ speaker system in his explorer. The box ran 800 watts at 4 ohms or something like that and it had a horn and 2 15" drivers. This thing shook his truck like no other. it was amazing!
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

actually i just have them wired in series, im not doing anything too powerful, because i know what u guys are talking about i had an old pioneer hu in my cavalier and i had 2 12" ma'S AND I DIDNT HAVE AN AMP YET SO I HOOKED THEM UP TO  my hu along with some 5 X 7's and pretty soon i had a radio that turned on, but the sound just never came back ='(

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
the big thing with home speakers is they don't tend to have the better surrounds and deteriorate when in the car
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
It's surprising you get any volume at all from the rear with 4's and 8's in series.  But I guess you can't argue with something that was demonstrated.  Foam surrounds actually are superior for sound quality, and is the reason why speakers indoors have them.  The weather, though, is the enemy of foam.  I hope you are saving up for your first real car system, though.  You made a good first start by addressing this forum for feedback   :)
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic