icon

rubberized spray?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontknow 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Im building my box tomorow...Now i read somewhere that is good to cover the inside with a rubberized spray?

Is this something I should do... and Just in case this matters the box will be made of MDF only and is for 1 12" sub

Thanks,

Rob 

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
don't wastetime....not relevent...some people like to rhinoline the outside for looks(rubberized spray? -- posted image.)    but theres no need to put it inside.
audioconnection 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
sometimes depending on the sub and power it will have it can help to do this. as when done right, meaning when you use plenty of spray and lay it on thick, it will "deaden" up the wood or make it stiffer. and this will help with negative waves inside the box.  this is something you would do if you are really into sound quality. or if you trying to get a little more SPL out of your sub.
remember...Friends Dont let friends Install, Take it to a pro..
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Just use polyester fiberfill (polyfill). It's much cheaper at about $2 a bag and works great.
tylertime 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

what about for inside a fiberglass enclosure?? i saw somewhere that it will help make it sound less...hollow or something??

any thoughts?

CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Same thing. Use polyfill.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
tylertime wrote:

what about for inside a fiberglass enclosure?? i saw somewhere that it will help make it sound less...hollow or something??

any thoughts?

Using Line-X will greatly increase the dampening of the enclosure walls, but at the cost of weight. Basically, it'll make less of the sound come from the box and more come from the cone. It's a good thing. And no, polyfill can't give you the same effect. When it comes to making bass go where you want it, the only option is mass.
If you surf around their site, you can read the white paper about why the Pentagon is using it to bomb-proof cinderblock walls. It's good stuff.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
rubberized undercoating won't do much it doesn't have the mass. See how it sounds first then if you need to add sound damping (that's the purpose of the undercoating stuff) add something then, poly fill is a tuning aid
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
archemedes wrote:
rubberized undercoating won't do much it doesn't have the mass. See how it sounds first then if you need to add sound damping (that's the purpose of the undercoating stuff) add something then, poly fill is a tuning aid
My experience with Line-X (Herculiner/Rhinoliner don't have enough density and their Youngs modulus is too low) is somewhat different. It's a dense elastomer, and when applied properly it does a lot for creating a multi-layer dampening system out of the box. The "rubbery" mass absorbs the vibration, preventing the woofer's backwave from interfering (as much) and providing a great amout of help to the dampening of the enclosure walls. It also dampens the natural resonances of MDF very nicely, making it even more dead than it already is. The knock test is one of the most revealing for this. The Line-X'd boxes I've built go thud, the uncoated ones go crack and ring for a while. I'm a fan of spraying it inside both boxes and vehicles. Yes, it adds a significant amount of mass for a thick application (3/16"-1/4"), and yes it really does the job. It beats the pants off of the asphalt mat products on the market, as well as things like Deflex, etc, especially for what it costs.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
In my fiberglass box i just sprayed about 2 cans of walmart brand bed liner on the inside of my box to make sure everything was sealed tight and to help with any extra dust i may have missed.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic