icon

Weird Whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z28plus 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Just installed an amp for my sub and a pr. of Focal componets. When the truck is running, I get a whining sound through the speakers, but only when its running??
I am running two sets of RCA's and a LOC, as well as 4ga power cable. I have heard that if you run the power cables next to the RCA's then you may have a problem. Any truth to this.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, power and signal cables should be seperated as much as possible.  The most common causes for engine whine include: bad ground on amplifier or head unit, bad RCA cables, bad LOC, damaged or grounded speaker wires, induction into the signal cables or the LOC from power or ground cables, or bad ignition system components in the vehicle.  To isolate it requires a slow, methodical approach.  Try one thing at a time.

Good luck!

Support the12volt.com
rallysport 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
yes, try running them on opposite sides of the vehicle and see if that helps. generally if your running sub amp without amping up speakers youll be fine running power wire with rcas but when powering speakers its best to seperate the power from the rcas by 36 inches or so.
z28plus 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i will try that, this is a 4-channel amp that is powering a 1 JL sub and a pr of focal componets.
any other feedback is appreciated.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

Where did you ground the amp to?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
z28plus 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
grounded to the body in the door sill?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

I usually find the problem to be the remote turn on wire.   It should go away if you jump the power wire on the amp to the remote terminal  instead of getting power from the ignition.   Try that, if it goes away, then you will need to throw a relay in the remote turn on wire.

But don't leave the remote wire jumped from the 12v power to your amp, , it will keep the amp running all the time and kill your battery.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
z28plus 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
I have the remote wire connected to a PAC harness that had a remote wire and RCA's coming out.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
That could be part of the problem.  Don't run remote wire and RCA together.  Split it out.
Support the12volt.com
nychris2004 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  

everybodys right but the problem is definitely running the rca's and the power wire together..u can have the rca's with the remote wire, but them and the power wire WILL make noise 95% of the time, this much i do know =)

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic