icon

1 Ohm ok to run?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mrhunter 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

I have an amp that I would like to run at 1 ohm. I have 2 1232w's that are 4 ohms with dual voice coils.

On the box for the subs it says to run them at 2 or 8 ohms. If I run them at 1 ohm will it damage them? Is it possible to even run 2 dvc 4 ohm subs at 2 ohms?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
it means run EACH sub at either 2 or 8 ohms each (since using both voice coils you can either run in series for 8 ohms or parallel for 2 ohms). you can achieve a 1 ohm load using both subs with each sub wired in parallel for 2 ohms, and the two subs wired in parallel for the 1 ohm load, so its perfectly fine for the subs.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

Here is how to wire the subs to a 1 ohm combined load. First make sure that the amp you have is designed to run at a 1ohm load. You cannot run 2 dvc 4 ohm subs at 2 ohms unless it is at 2 ohms per channel onto a stereo amp. You will not damage a sub by wiring it in this method at all, you will damage them by using an amp that is not capable of driving them properly at the given load or with the improper gain setting.

Wiring Option #1

1 Ohm ok to run? -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

The amp is 1 ohm stable so I should be ok. And from what Ive been reading its better to run the gain as low as possible but still getting the sound you are looking for correct?

Is the gain basically the control for how much power is emitted from the amp?

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
The amp I purchased runs more rms power then what the subs are rated for. If I keep the gain down and the volume at a decent level I should be fine right?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
No the amp will make the same amount of power regardless of where the gain is set. All it does is match the output voltage of the cd player to the input voltage of the amp. Think of a 2x4 that is 10 feet long. Now take a 1 foot chunk out of it and place it in the center, the board is still 10 feet long, take it and place it on one end or the other, the board is still 10 feet long. It will never make the board any longer, the same thing applies to gain. The gain control can be thought of as a redline for the amplifier, get the wrong wetting on it and bad things happen to the sub, same as a redline on a engine, exceed the redline, bad things happen to the engine (for the most part). It is a good thing to keep the gain as low as possible and if you do you should run just fine. Remember though, it is not just a incorrect gain that will damage a sub, if you play the subs long and hard but still below redline, you can still run the risk of blowing a sub. Any time that power is generated a natural byproduct is heat, heat is the #1 killer of subs, if you play long and loud and do not allow your subs to adequately cool down, they can in fact melt the voice coils / former and then you are back to square one.
Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Here is how to wire the subs to a 1 ohm combined load. First make sure that the amp you have is designed to run at a 1ohm load. You cannot run 2 dvc 4 ohm subs at 2 ohms unless it is at 2 ohms per channel onto a stereo amp. You will not damage a sub by wiring it in this method at all, you will damage them by using an amp that is not capable of driving them properly at the given load or with the improper gain setting.

Wiring Option #1

Using this diagram, if I ran 2 of the above setups but hooked them both into the same connections on the amp would I still be running at 1 ohm? Or would it be at 2 ohms?

I have a 1200 watt RMS amp @ 1 ohm and the subs are 300 watts rms a piece. So if I buy 2 more subs and can still run it at 1 ohm then that would be about perfect. Or am I better off buying a 3rd sub and running them at 2.67 ohms and aprox. 450 watts rms a piece?

I would like to get away with just running the 2 subs for now but it doesnt look like I will be able to and still get the right amount of power to them.

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
Any ideas on the best way to wire them and set them up would be great. Thanks!
forbidden 
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

If you ran two of these exact setups on the amp it would result in a net load of .5 ohm (getting close to a dead short) that would result in SAS - smelly amplifier syndrome, thus I will not recommend it. If you want to use one more sub, then this is possible and it will result in some good results. Here is how to wire the system for this scenario.

Wiring Option #1

Adding a 4th sub will result in this circuit and it's resulting load.

Wiring Option #1

While it may be less power produced by the amp as compared to running the amp at 1 ohm, with the added cone area it should play louder. This scenario will also allow you to add an identical amp to power the additional 2 speakers if you want or replace the existing amp with MR. BIGDADDY BALLS OF STEEL AMPLIFIER of your choice.

Mrhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help again. I thin Ill pick up another one and just run 3 subs. If I ran 4 I dont think I would get what I was looking for. I would like to run the subs at their optimum range.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic