icon

checklist

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
axonal 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
I'm getting ready to prepare a frame I built to go into a tahoe, and just wanted to make sure I'm gonna do everything right before hand. First thing, I'm going to be fiberglassing outside of the car, seeing as there is too much area I'm covering. The frame I built is basically like a V with four 12's on the top, and attaches to the back of the seats. First thing off, I have two different types of fabric currently, but willing to buy something else if it will work the first time.
1) I have cheesecloth and fleece that looks more than felt than fleece at all. Will the fleece/felt stuff work? Would my main concern with it be it being able to soak in fiberglass?
2) Secondly, how thick should I be laying the fiberglass on? Should it be a thin layer, or rather thick?
3) When applying the fiberglass to the fleece, should I use the chopmat in conjuction, or omit since the fleece will be soaking in the fiberglass? Or should chopmat be used on the underside after the fleece has tried?
4) Is it safe to staple the fleece on in certain locations of the frame and fiberglass over the staples, or should I avoid doing this?
Any other comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really dont wish to screw this up and be left with something similar to wht94stang's car. I'll try to post a sketch of the design if I can find it, or take a picture of my frame with my cell.
axonal 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I finally downloaded the pics off my cell.
checklist -- posted image.
As well as a picture of it fleeced (the halloween fleece was on sale)
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  

i think thepeices of wood stickin outthe side are kinda strange but otherwise, you got the idea, btw, nice sub rings

axonal 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
The reason the wood is sticking out is because that is where the cargo shade on a tahoe would go, that way I can pop in enclosure to go across where the cargo shade would go. I'll take a picture of it inside of the tahoe so you can see how it will look. Looks better inside it than out.
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
keep updating pix!
defective 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
ya... i think we need next batch.... get yer phone goin'
axonal 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I got some more pictures. I'm beginning to feel a bit unsure if the enclosure is going to turn out right.
Here is the first layer after it dried a bit.
What I'm concerned about is the "fuzzies" from the fleece popping up. Not sure if this is normal, or if I'm not putting enough resin on.
So, I did a second coat to hopefully keep most of that down. Keep in mind that I still have to do the edges of the other side of this. The box will be sealed with a giant vinyl covered panel. I'm deciding whether I should store my amps in that area, or just keep it as is, but it mostly depends on how it fits in the tahoe.
Anyhow, most of the parts away from the center seem to be hardening quite well, but the center doesn't seem to be hardening as much as the rest. I'm assuming this is because its less curvy than the rest, is there anyway I can stiffen this up?
Here is a random picture of the fasteners I plan to use to keep the subs in. Simple socket cap with t-nuts to go around the ring.
axonal 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
Just recently went to check my enclosure. It's beginning to harden, except for some patches here and there on the enclosure? Should I worry about this, or would applying another coat with a bit of extra hardener help it get on it's way? I've been using 5cc's per 7oz.
defective 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
no... use less hardner, and wait a longtime. It will harden better
axonal 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, the top did seem a bit harder than yesterday, so Im assumed it was good enough to move. I decided I'd get a start on the other side. So I flipped it over and noticed...
...the bottom wasn't covered in resin.
So, I covered it and layed down some chop mat as well to hopefully strength the middle which seemed a bit weak. I didn't bother laying down chop mat yet on the corners since they seemed to be really stronger.
a close up shot...
So, is it going well so far?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic