icon

Kenwood or Nakamichi

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X979 or Nakamichi CD 400 is what I have narrowed down to.
Anyone ever used these and can help me with their opinions on it? I am in search of a good high-end HU that needs external amps, has subwoofer output and I dont care if it plays Mp3/wma etc as long as it plays CD and has RAdio. thanks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed them both.  There is no comparison.  If you want high quality SQ, the Nakamichi wins hands down.  Don't get me wrong, if you want bells and whistles the Kenwood is a fine performer.  Bit it is no where near the SQ of the Nak.
Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
I havent heard either one so I will have to believe someone who has heard them. I don't care about bells and whistles (unless these sounds come from the speakers) as much as I care for SQ so Nakamichi is my choice.   Is it worth spending more on a Nakamichi CD-700II or Nakamichi CD400 is as good in sound quality and will save me some bucks?
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
I think im going to go with the CD400 as the 500 and 700II have CD changer controls but no detachable face plate which I need definitely. Also the inputs are great to connect my iPod etc.
vk51 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to have a great sounding high end deck, go with Nak, Eclipse, or Alpine.  If you want to impress 16 year old girls, get the Excelon.Kenwood  or Nakamichi -- posted image.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
lol, nice... is that who is impressed with the multicolor flashing elite graphic screensavers? 
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
I currently have Alpine CDA9811 that I am replacing with a Nakamichi CD400. I chose the CD400 since I did not have enough money for the CD700II and this later also does not have a detachable face plate. Also I do not want to leave my money in the hands of thieves when I park my car and I am not saying where I park it!
Impressing the gals would be another great feature but since I want to most importantly impress my ears, heart and soul first as they are more trustworthy than all others, the Nakamichi wins me. I think the older girls over 16, anyway prefer quality over the dancing lights with lesser SQuality.. am I wrong? Correct me if I am wrong.
Talking of lights, I've seen some cars with so much lights all over inside, outside and under, that I honestly think it looks cheesey.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

I think the dancing lights actually turn off girls after the teenage years have passed.  My fiance (28) told me I was forbidden from buying anything that had dancing lights or made my car look like something off pimp my ride.   

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Why I put the Excelon as one of my options:
I called Crutchfield before putting my post on here and asked the guy for a very good high quality HU. The guy first asked me for the make and model of my car. I told him that I really want the best HU crutchfield has and my car does not really matter. He insisted I tell him the make and model before he helps me with the HU selection since he said he wanted to see if it fits on my car, to which I told him the make and model, and also informed him that I want the best, and if the HU is does not fit it in the right place, I dont mind putting it under the seat or glove box (I was slightly upset by then). Then he said ok. He looked up his charts I assume, and then gave me this Excelon. I asked him if he had Denon or Harman Kardon , he said "I am sorry but we do not carry those" and he says how superior quality the Excelon is etc etc to which I said thank you for your help and I would like to do some research and read reviews on it before making my purchase. If I did not talk with Crutchfield today, I would not even had considered the Kenwood name and stuck with the higher end names.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
I like Plain Jane when it involves the deck blending in with the surroundings.  No make-up, just fresh and natural beauty.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic