icon

what size cap do I need?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
olingerd 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
I am pretty new to installation, I know how to do it fairly well for just little experience.  Just need some advice I have sony just kinda begginer stuff, I have 2 P5 12's and the XMDS1600P5 amp that has the two subs at 900 watts.  I know my amp is going to be pulling 130 amps and my alternator isnt going to be able to handle that.  So what size cap do I need?  Is 1 farad enough?? 
mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
one farad would be sufficient. i really doubt youre gonna wanna upgrade your alternator with that setup.
always looking for new info and willing to give it
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
If you are aware that your alternator is too small, then why are you asking what size cap you need? If you read these posts, you will know that it has been stated over and over "A cap will not fix your problem!" Take that 100 bux, save another hundred or so, and do it RIGHT. Get an alternator that will provide the current you need for the amplifier you have. THEN, and only then, consider a cap. A cap will NOT fix an underrated alternator sistuation... It will NOT make it worse (as some people believe) but it will not fix it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
olingerd 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
what will happen if I run this system without a new alternator or cap while I look for either??
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

Ah.. it'll prolly burn it out, or the car won't work quite right.  the other components in teh car will go to sh*t... personally, i noticed my ABS went to crap in a handbasket before i upgraded my alternator in my 93 sunbird (had a whole bunch of BS neons and a small amp).  I upped the alt, and life returned to normal.

The car also had issues with reving up, and there were assorted other issues... like the seatbelts were convinced they were not plugged in, for 5 second random intervals.  hehe.

~~Dan

Lansing.

Upgrade it.  save your self a load of crap.

godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
A good rule of thumb............Use at least .5 farad per 500 watts RMS of power output. You can have as many farads as you wish, just do not use less than what you need.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Bad rule of thumb dude, cut off your thumb and go back to go. Remember that a cap does not create current, it uses and stores it. Just because you have this amp with say a 60 amp fuse, does not mean that it draws this much current all the time. The current draw is proportional to the load the amp sees, the volume it is played at and the duration it is played for. The first thing you should do is upgrade all the ground wiring from the battery to chassis, block, alternator and for gods sake make sure you have a good proper ground at the amp. (this means a resistance of below 1/2 ohm) Make the ground return as efficient as possible to ensure the amp can work to it's full capabilities. Cause the amp to stuggle for power, the vehicle circuits will notice next. After the wiring upgrade save for an alternator if you need one.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Forbidden....that was not my rule of thumb. Thats what they recommend. But that is without having alternator problems and not supplying enough power. I wasnt discussing that at all.

mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  

i dont know where olingerd got the info that a XMDS1600P5 amp is gonna pull 130 amps but thats largely overrated. get a dry cell battery and a one farad cap and youll be fine. dont even think about getting a h.o. amp until you get some real subs.

always looking for new info and willing to give it
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ya that amp cant possible pull that much current. If I remember right the fuse rating in the amp is only 60 amps or 80 amps max so there is not way it can pull130 amps. If it did it would be snappin the fuses. I dont think any of the above is probally nessasary for that amp with those subs. I mean, contrary to what people seem to say I DO think that caps can help when you are a little short on power. I mean a little though. Like 15 amps to 20 amps at absolute max draw when all things are considered. It may not make your lights stop flashing but its gonna help avoide problems like those maglin talked about. NOTICE I SAID HELP NOT SOLVE. I really dont feel like getting this thrown back in my face. This is an Issue where I dont agree with a lot of the experts on here and it has become quite clear to me that neither side is gonna budge so I try to stay out of these disscusions if I can.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic