icon

mono Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
I kno this might be a stupid question but i figured i'd give it a shot. Is there anyway i can use my mono amp to power 2 or more speakers? Is there any spliting or anything i can do to make this work?
I guess that guy has subs.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

There sure is.  Many people use mono amps with 2 speakers.  Play around with the options in this wiring guide:

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/wooferwizard.pl

Just remember most mono amps aren't stable when run under a 1 ohm load. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  

Is that the same setup  i can use for normal speakers not subs?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
Use mono amps only for subwoofers, because subwoofer frequencies are too low for you to tell where the sound is coming from.  Speakers that play frequencies higher than about 150 Hz need to be connected to a stereo amp, so that you can get the left/right stereo separation.  The only way to get around this, if you are adding midbass drivers to your system, is to use a mono amp for each side, left and right.  Since that doesn't make sense, unless you have a bunch of mono amps sitting around, you would instead use a stereo amp.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
Is there really a difference in using two mono amps vs one stereo amp other than the facts that:
    2 mono amps                                              1 stereo amp
    ------------                                             -------------
    Need more space                                          Less space
    Need more wires                                          Less wires
    Cost more to buy 2 amps                                  Costs less to buy 1 amp
    More controls to tune L/R channels                      Usualy 1 preset to tune each frequencies/filters for both channels
Does a stereo amp not have two separate channels anyway under one box?
Also I don't know why you said to use mono amps for subs only. Won't two mono amps be same as having one stereo amp soundwise as long as the amplification is opened to the required frequencies?
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

markcars to answer your question a stereo amp does have two channels and in some instances some have separate power supplies for each channel.

If I am assuming right, stevdart was trying to say that mono amps are basically designed for sub applications since they are normally class D amps and designed for raw power and not clarity.  Since subs can handle a little more distortion than mid-high freq speakers mono amp are normally required to power them.  When it comes to mid-highs 2-4 channel amps are reccommended since they play higher frequencies with less distortion.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Using mono amps for main channels (two for stereo, as you suggest) allows you to achieve much higher sound quality than using stereo amps.  Some of the absolute best stereo amps actually do use two seperate mono amps in one chassis.  As long as you have chosen the amps properly (class A or A/B, not class D or X) you can certainly achieve better sound using seperate mono amps.  The setup is far more difficult, however.  Beyond the obvious space, cost and wiring differences, the input sensitivity and output gain (if they have this) must be matched as closely as possible, which requires using the proper equipment.  A dedicated stereo amp (which usually shares certain power supply and input components, and sometimes shares output components as well) uses a unity gain for both channels.  Oh, and in addition to the advantages in SQ, channel seperation, s/n ratio, etc. that can be achieved with the right mono amps, you can also more easily use certain equipment to adjust them (both time alignment and relative output levels) to compensate for speaker placement to get the proper sound stage in your driver's seat.

If you can afford it and have the equipment and expertise to set them up properly, seperate amps for each sound channel can be the best way to go for ultimate SQ.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, fuseblower is right about my response.  I was referring to the class D mono amp, which is the type one would find if he asked for mono amps.  I believe lolzitsmtss has a Kicker 1200.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i do have a kicker 1200.1 mono amp which i use for my subs. But i have 2 mono jensen 200rms @ i believe 2 ohms or 100rms @ 4 ohms that i was wondering if i could hook one mono to the back and one mono to the front.
stevdart 
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
By doing that you will either be listening to music in mono (take me back to '62), or have your channel separation front to back instead of left to right.  Equally bad, and totally unnerving.  And the sound quality will absolutely stink using a class D amp, particularly a Jensen, for your highs and vocal ranges.  Sell the Jensens.  You could buy a Pyramid 4 channel for $25 at a yard sale and get better results.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic