icon

Winch wiring controversy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bunker7 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
New user to the site and here is my first dilemma.Winch wiring controversy - Last Post -- posted image.

I am getting two stories on how to wire a winch to my truck. The plan calls to run heavy power cables from the battery up front in my truck to the back bumper about 20’ where they will terminate with welding plug connectors. The winch is mounted on a boat trailer and is a S4500 Superwinch. Its max motor load draw is rated at 350 amps but is circuit breaker protected at the positive terminal with 4 50amps breakers in parallel.

The first place tells me because of costs run a hot 1 gauge cable to the back through the circuit breakers mounted on the positive side of the battery and then use a short 2 foot 1 gauge ground wire at the back mounted to the frame and then bring a another short heavy braided ground strap from the frame up to the negative side of the battery.

Other guys are telling me to just go with two full length cables. One to each terminal of the battery.

Let me know your guys thoughts on the merits of both systems please.

I was leaning towards the recommendation of the first place because 1 gauge wire is big dollars per foot and very heavy.

Hans

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
grounds should be kept short (why run from the battery if the frame is already connected)
bunker7 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

The negative plug was going to be connected at the back of the truck to the frame.

Thne a big ground strap upfront in the fenderwell from the frame to the negative side of the battery to complete the circuit.

The present ground wire from frame  would not handle 200 amps.

archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
that sounds like a good plan
Nstaller36609 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

Accordind to the techs at  WARN  Because of the high current draw all winches whether mounted on the front or rear of a vehicle need to be grounded to the battery.I have been installing WARN winches for years and have never been steered wrong.There is a harness available for rear applications that works perfect.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
well..... it really doesn't matter,   grounding to the frame will cost less, but will introduce noise to your audio system when the winch is engaged (if you have amps)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic