icon

has anyone used this amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
00neon 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
a Zapco I-force i-250??  ive heard zapco is good stuff, but has been going down in quality.......does anyone have any experience with this specific amp?
1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock
1 Sony Xplod 75x4
Front: Alpine SPX-177A
Rear: JL audio VR690-CXI
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

The i-force series amps are a Japanese made version. While they are a decent amp for the money I personally don't understand the value of risking their reputation with these imported models, as the SQ is nowhere near the same of the Reference, or yet the C2K lines.

Zapco is a very reputable manufacturer in the SQ aspects of car audio, as stated, the Reference and C2K models offer extremely high end sound quality. With their Symbalink technology, they are far above the industry in terms of signal strength and versatility.

As for the i-force line, personally, I think it is nothing more than a tweaked up Sony, with a Zapco emblem.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Here's the scoop on Zapco i-Force amps straight from the horse's mouth:

David,
The i-force is made in China. It took 4year of building and testing to come up with an import amp that we would put the Zapco name on. We did all the design work here at Zapco. To date we have sold about 5000 units total and have got back 6 bad units. This is what we wanted, a import amp with the performance and reliably that can have the ZAPCO name. We also in the 4 year have tested a lot of import amps and look to build something that would out perform all amps in the price range. The i-force is also priced a little higher then its import counterparts. This amp is a first time buyer amp. Some one that can not afford the better amps. It is not taking the place of our US made Reference or C2K.. Zapco has raised the standards in the lower price import market. If you don't believe it, take an i-force 2100 (200watt) and put it up against a 600watt brand X (brand starts with P or D or S). Then tell me that we are lowing our standards, not the case at all. Thank you for asking about i-force, I an happy you want to learn what we are doing and spread the word. Let me know what your hearing out there, we are always interested.
Bob Rugani
Director of Dealer Support
413 S. Riverside Dr. Suite D
Modesto, CA  95354
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

I wish there was a good magazine / website that put major brand's competing products head to head like the computer industry does. 

I mean, I really would like to see every amp in the i-force 2100's class range reviewed by the same place. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for sharing that letter, DYohn.  That's some interesting stuff.  Now I'm trying to guess the "brand starts with P or D or S"...S for Sony?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmmm.......DYohn, now that it has been put that way, I have a whole different perspective of them, from the way it was introduced to us, seemed that they were trying to run it up there with the Reference and the C2K, so I really felt strongly that they were risking reputation with the introduction of them. Because I have heard a few of them, and they sound pretty good, but not near that of the "Zapco" sound that I am used too.

But now I understand the point, its just Zapco's way of expanding their horizons so to speak. Just trying to build a more affordable amp for the average everyday listener.

Thanks for the post, made a 90% turn around on the opinion of myself and others around our shop.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic