icon

JBL or Infinity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BulletTooth 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I'm looking at getting 5.25 components for my car this weekend. I'm currently kind of stuck between JBL Power series and Infinity Kappas. Which ones sound clearer and have a better bass response? Anyone could recommend one over the other from their experience? Also if anyone has any other suggestions for components in a similar category I would definetly appreciate it.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
JBL and Infinity are both fine speakers.  Choose the set that sounds best to your ears.  You might also take a listen to MB Quart, Focal, CTD, Boston Acoustics, Memphis...
Support the12volt.com
axonal 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Another thing you may want to consider is that JBL and Infinity are both subsidiaries of Harman International. They also share the same support department as well. So I'm sure the two companies are closely linked together. Oh yea, and if it makes any difference Eric Clapton has chosen JBL for his concert tour.
BulletTooth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your replies. That is exactly my problem, both infinity and JBL are pretty close that is why I'm having hard time to pick one. I want speakers that would sound rich and yet clear at high volume levels with good mid-bass response. MB Quarts are great but I'd have to go with higher =(very expensive line) which I probably won't be able to afford and the Discus components cut off the tweeters when cranked up. Any other suggestions are still welcome, especially personal experiences.
Thank you.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

axonal wrote:
Another thing you may want to consider is that JBL and Infinity are both subsidiaries of Harman International. They also share the same support department as well. So I'm sure the two companies are closely linked together. Oh yea, and if it makes any difference Eric Clapton has chosen JBL for his concert tour.

And Rod Stewart is being sponsored by Infinity.  Yes, both companies are owned by Harmon and do share some functions, but they are engineered and manufactured by entirely different teams.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  You cannot chose speakers based on specs, looks or recomendations.  You must LISTEN to them to know what you like.

I've run both JBL and Infinity in my cars for years.  My wife's car has Kappa mains and my daughter's Neon uses JBL GTOs.

Support the12volt.com
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

umm... i have soem kappa coax and they are probably the cleanest speakers ive heard.... even though coax do not compare to components i love em if u have the money go with kappas imo.... i would hope your using an external amp as well

BulletTooth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you guys I actually ordered the JBL Power series yesterday and I'll have them by tuesday. Hopefully they will sound good, I heard JBL GTO's before and i liked the way they sounded so hopefully these would be even better. I will let you know if they are any good after I'm done installing them.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
i thought the GTOs where the top of the line or am i mistaken?
BulletTooth 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
No actually they are the base model, then come Power series and then the GTi which are about $500 = too much for my pocket.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic