icon

speakers out of phase?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supergary 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
This is my first post here I hope somebody will help me. I have a 92 Safari van that has 2 pairs of speakers in the rear. A pair of 61/2's mid bass woofers and a pair of coaxial 4  inches. I hooked the coaxials up in parallel with the mid bass drivers and ran the wires to the amp which is installed under the captains chairs. Before I hooked them to the amp I quickly checked to see if I had correct polarity with a small battery (pop test) and I was surprised to find that when I hooked up the battery the mid bass moved outward as expected but the coaxials moved inwards. I then double checked that the connections between the 2 pairs of speakers were correct....pos to pos neg to neg and they were. So then I reversed the connections on the coaxials neg to pos pos to neg retried the battery pop test and again the same thing happens....one cone goes out while the other speakers cone is going inwards. Are thes speakers out of phase as the continuity seems to be correct? BTW I am trying to achieve a 2 ohm load per channel so that is why I am wiring these in parallell with one another. Is there a better way of wiring the rear fill and should I just ignore what the battery is doing to these speakers???
GalpinAudio 
Copper - Posts: 44
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have both sets of speakers mounted the the same enclosure area?  I.E. Both mounted in the same box or both in a door with no baffle?  If so, what you are getting when you pop them is one speaker moving the air the correct way and pushing the other speaker in the opposite direction.  If this is the case, put them back + to +, and - to -, and get some baffles for the speakers to seperate the air space.
Never Let Those Who Say It Cant Be Done Stand In The Way While You Do It!
supergary 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for geting back but I just got back fromm holidays....no the speakers arenot in the same enclosure....the 6 1/2's are in the rear doors and the 4 inch coaxials are mounted higher up in the door pillars....I have tried this with both sets now a nd they still keep doinjg the same thing when using the battery to check for polarity....should  I just ignore this silly syndrome and just go on and finish wiring it?????
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
Are you using a crossover?  Are you certain the speakers are in parallel and the polarity hookup is correct?
Support the12volt.com
supergary 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
No there is no crossover being used on the rear fill. I am powering the 2 pairs off a 4080 rockford four channel amp..the 4 rear speakers wired in parallell stereo each side 2 ohms and the front speakers will run off the remaining other 2 channels....It is simply wired pos neg from the amp to the 61/2's and then another wire neg to neg pos to pos parallelling the 4 inch coax's to the 61/2's allready mentioned. I am a CTE graduate and have done many installs so it is not like I don't know what I am doing here. It just baffles the hell outta me why this is happening....I repeat as I hook up the wire to the rear speakers at the amp terminals, if I test the polarity with a 1.5 volt penlamp battery the 61/2's move outwards when the positive is hooked to the top of the battery. At the same time the cones on the coaxials move in wards....I changed the wire at the terminals at the 4 inch coaxials(reversed them) and the same thing is still happening. Should I just ignore this or do I have a real problem here???? Thanks again for your help!!!!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Try this.  Disconnect the front channel at the RCA connector on the amp.  Disconnect the 4" coaxial.  Play some program material and listen (or measure) the apparent loudness.  Now re-connect the 4".  If the apparent (or measured) loudness decreases, then you have a polarity problem.  If it increases or stays the same, you don't - or at least not one that will noticably affect the end result.  Good luck!
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, also did you try testing polartity with your battery on the 4" by themselves?  They could be marked wrong.  You're not using factory wiring are you?  There could be a crossover in the wiring between the speaker positions that you are unaware of...
Support the12volt.com
supergary 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks,

I still gotta get outside again and check if there is any gmc crossover being used in between the 2 pairs of speaks....uh...I kinda got lazy and just used the stock wiring between the 4 inchers to the mid basses in the doors....oh well looks like I will have to run some new wiring between them and see if this rectifies this problem...oh btw I still have not hooked up the premier p99 head unit yet...still running stock deck and front bostons without the use of my new amps and rockford 12's....all 4 of them ....I cant wait....booom

supergary

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic