icon

Head Unit Skipping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2002 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, When i'm playing a cd and hit a bump in the road or hard pounding base, the cd-player in the head unit will skip.
this just started happing so i cleaned the cd-lens and it is still skipping.
any ideas on how to fix this problem? I cant even use my Tone's CD for SPL! DOH!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2002 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
If it’s under warrantee send it in for repair. If not take it to a local TV/VCR repair shop a lot of time they fix head units and amps as well.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2002 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Primary thing to check before sending it in for repair is that the unit is securely mounted in the vehicle and is as solid as possible. Add a backstrap if you haven't already. If you still have a skipping problem, then I'd consider having it repaired or replaced. 
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2002 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

Ditto to the 12volt.  .

I had an Alpine Mbus in the glove of a 95 Accord that worked fine.  One day...it just started skipping when the suspension would take a good jolt.  The angle adjusters were correct.  It just decided to start skipping.  But it did not have a skipping problem.  Maybe after all the dust and lubricants settled in, the damping system was less effective.  Im not saying an occasional skip is acceptable...

Try the backstrap, then repair or replace if unsuccessful.

fredisfound 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2002 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
is the unit a Sony? if so just send it back, they have a problem with loading and skipping.not a very good unit really.
AmericanHCFreak 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2002 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
Throw it out the window
Greg
TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2002 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
it's a KDC 6009 Kenwood.    i bought it brand new about 3 years ago... and this just started happining (it has been 2 months after i installed it into my new Integra)
mack6820 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Kenwood in a Ford Explorer and It also skips when I crank up the base. Im told there is a basket you can buy to house the stereo and make it more secure, but I havent found one yet. Im still researching.
asdf1234 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
how do you put the a back strap on b/c my normal cd player is being fixed so I have a POS whcih skips alot andi was wondering if there was any way to lessing the skipping?
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on where you live, climate-wise, it could be that your lens (lazer-assembly) has haze on it, which a standard cleaning disc won't fix. I have had to physicall remove the head unit, pull the cover to expose the lazer assembly and hit it with the ole' Q-tip and tape cleaning fluid (denatured alcohol). DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL! What happens is that in temperature extremes, especially in the winter, the changes in the surface temperature can cause condensation on the lens, which in turn traps micro particles in the air, kinda like water spots on your car after it rains. You gotta scrub em' off. .....Good Luck!
Clean tools = Clean work!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic