icon

perfect circles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
biznisman2u 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
how do the pros make perfect circles because i have a select products part3 tape and it uses a router table and stuff but they already had ther circle cut from there products they sale.... So if i just had a plane sheet of mdf what would be the best tool to make a perfect circle... and if it is a router how is that perfect when you have to move it with your hand manually? is there a extra type of jig made to measure out the cut and holds the router in place while going in a circle or what? also what type of bit i will need to cut? what type of bit i will need to half way cut it as well so i can staple some grill clothe on to??? any information would help
Biznisman2u
g0a_ 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

geta  circle cutting jig for your router

jasper is the best one

increments of 1/16"

from 2-1/8" to 18-7/8"

that enough sizes?

=) good luck

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=365-250

Joey
Audio Illusions
3117 Hwy 70 SE
Hickory NC 28658
828-466-1515
Zero tolerance policy on prefab boxes
100% custom
axonal 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
None of the stores I went to locally had circle jigs, so what I wound up doing was getting some really thin plywood and mounted it to my router's base to turn it into a compass. There is a tutorial on it over at DIY Power Tools.
http://www.diynet.com/diy/tl_power_tools/article/0,2037,DIY_14392_2269994,00.html
Don't worry about making it fancy and covering the whole base of the router, the main concern is making sure that the point from the router bit, to the center of your circle is straight. So once you have it on your router, spin it around your circle to see if it stays on the line you've made. This is pretty good if you are just going to have a one time use for cutting a circle. If you are gonna be making them a lot more often, then I'd suggest going out to get either the Jasper, or Lewin router compass. Both of which you can find on Froogle.
losone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

http://practical-technologies.com/id2.html

This is the Best circle jig you can buy, I had the jasper & prefer this one by far!!! The good thing about it, is you can leave the base on & still use your router for normal jobs as well.  Best $50 you can spend for you router.

My $.02

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
i use a Dremel Advantage with the circle cutter attachment.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
carriles 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
Roto-Zip also does a fairly good job.
I do alot of woodworking and I love the Roto-Zip.
But that jig looks pretty darn nifty.
Les
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
anything dremel based is not a good tool for daily circle cutting. If your in a custom install shop environment, you definately should own a router.  Most reasonable enclosures are 3/4" or larger, have fun cutting that one after another with a Roto-Zip. For the occasional box and personal use, waiting for the Roto-Zip to cut it is alot more economical than a router & bits.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
tell me about it. I used a craftsman all-in-one cutting tool, it will cut circles it just goes through bits like mad and is SLOWWWW. defectives 100% right about a router. If your doing this stuff alot you'll definately need one.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
carriles 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, they are for the ocasional use only type jobs,
if you are doing anything as a job or industrial, a router is the best bet.
Les
biznisman2u 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
thanks do anybody know where i can get a good cheap caliber from with a manal reading because the gauge readers run to high.... i will be investing in a portal cable router
Biznisman2u

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic