icon

Rockford System Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bigfrank203 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2001 cavalier with a rfx 9320G source, Fnx2414 4 inch components, frc3206 6 inch speakers,  2 rfp3810 10" subs connected to a 700x amp. I have a whining noise coming from the subs that increases in loudness when I hit the gas. I read that it is probably the power cable and rca's run together, but I wasn;t sure which side to run the remote turn on wire or if it mattered. Also I was wondering if my crossovers where supposed to light up. When I turn the volume up there is a bulb looking thing in the crossover that lights of periodically. I was wondering if that was normal. Finally I read that a source unit should not be bridged.  I was suprised to read this, but was wondering if it mattered if I wired one speaker to both front and rear would it have the same effect. I have had my speakers wired like that for about a month and nothing has happened yet. Should I change that or will it be fine. I have one speaker connect to the front and rear + and -, and the other to the front and read + or  -. It isn;t bridged, but just combine the power. Thanks for any help you can provide. 
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
the bulb thing is a fuse, what you have is a ground loop, the easiest way to get rid of the ground loop is a ground loop isolator
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
The bulb saves your tweeters from a power overload, Decks are not bridgable and can easily damage them if you try, and third a ground loop isolator could help although it could also be a ground wire problem due to improper gauge or a poor ground. Did you install it all your self or was it done at a professional shop.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Bigfrank203 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

It is all installed myself or with help from friends. The deck is wired with stuff from crutchfield. Raven are you saying that I should rewire my speakers that are hooked up to the deck.

Bigfrank203 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

Rockford System Help -- posted image.

Here is a diagram of how my speakers have been hooked up to the source. They have been like this for about a month without any problem. Would you suggest that I change it or what. Is it really hurting anything if I do not get a ground loop Isolator. I don;t mind the occasional lighting up if that is all that will happen. Thanks for your advice

Bigfrank203 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Rockford System Help -- posted image.

Sorry if these pictures don;t work they look fine on the preview. Basically it is  LF- and LR - connected to the - of the left speaker and the LR + and LF +  are connected to the + of the left speaker, with the same done to the right.

jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
please don't connect your speakers to your head unit in that way. your head unit will be damaged that way. just for the sake of curiosity, does the whining noise remain if you connect your speakers the way that they were intended?
Bigfrank203 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
They have been hooked up like that for about a month now. I should change how they are hooked up then? The speakers that whine are only the ones hooked up to the amp not the ones hooked to the source.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

Get those speakers disconnected like right now. The bulb that was previously mentioned is not a fuse but a light bulb that will light up when the presence of DC power is found in the speaker line. It is most commonly used in a crossover in a tweeter protection circuit.

In your picasso diagram it shows only two speakers hooked up, where are the other two hooked up and which ones are hooked up to the cd player?

Where is the amp grounded to and what guage of wire was used for power and ground?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Bigfrank203 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
The ones that are in the diagram are the components hooked to the source. All other speakers are hooked to the amp. The Amp is grounded on the side of the trunk where we sanded off all the paint using 4 gauge wire.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic