icon

Idea for sound dampner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I was looking at a page posted in another discussion, and came across this thing from the MCMaster Catalog:
>>Link<<
Vibration Damping Compound
Brush, spray, or trowel on this water-based elastomer to control vibration on metal surfaces such as air conditioning units, ducting, machinery housings, metal cabinets, piping, aircraft components, and auto components. Compound is fire retardant and chemically resistant to most acids, alkalies, and solvents. It air dries within 3 to 4 hours leaving a tough and flexible finish. Temperature range is -20° to +120° F. Color is beige.
Ok, Liquid Dynamat???
It says it's water based, so hopefully it won't stink up the car. Since it's liquid, it could be applied in some tricky places...
And, oh yeah, 270 Sq ft @ $68? Cheap
Thoughts? Ideas? Flames?
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
huh? Dig that, never heard of it but if it can dampen vibrations for aircraft componets I hope it can dampen some bass. Might be something to check out and for that price if it does it job it could be worth its weight in gold, but then again (and I dont mean to discourage) like always you tend to get what you pay for so you never know unless someones had some experience with this stuff.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
I bought the 5 gallon bucket and am going to use it for the outer wheel wells.  It is really thick and doesn't smell at all.  it is also a cream color.  i don't know how well this would work inside of a vehicle, but like I said I'm GOING to use it.  I've only put on a little and it DOES NOT paint on.  It's like drywall mud.  I will be spraying it on (wasn't my first choice) with a compressor and .25 inch tip.  I'll post how it goes when it's done.
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the same concept as similar compounds from dynamat and cascade audio. 
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, but that would only be for vertical walls right? Do you think it would be too much trouble to apply it to the floor?
Hmmm... Of maybe use some sort of mesh to hold it as it dries.
Ack... anyway, definetely let us know how it turned out. I will go for it soon, if only to try it out on the floors of the car.
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic