icon

99 SLK 230 ?'s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudsh*t 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

First I would like to say I am new to the forum I have been browsing around for a month or so but now i have an actuall question.

Ok well my friend bought an 99 Slk and I am going to be doing a deck and some other things for him.  My main question is where is the BOSE amp in this car? Is it like the nissans where each speaker is amped or is it just one amp?

Also if anyone has any other general tips for this car I would greatly appritiate it.

Thanks you

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Most of the Bose systems have individual amps on each speaker. You might run into problems replacing the bose head-unit because the bose speakers sometimes have an impedance of 2 ohms or lower, and an aftermarket deck can't handle that load. If you get a new head-unit you will at least have to run new speaker wire (I would replace the crappy bose speakers anyway).
loudsh*t 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I really haven't looked at the car to much but i know i will be replacing the speakers also and if it is the individual amp at each speaker i know how to bypass those.

Does anyone have any tips to removing the door panels on these cars cuz i know it has a air bag in the door.

Best Buy Installer
loudsh*t 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
anyone else?
Best Buy Installer
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Umm, whell, , you don't need to worry about the air bag explodeing, so get that outa your mind first off.   Next there sould be a tweeter in the front corner of the door, ,you need to pop the top portion of it off, and the bottom will pivet out,, then there should be a big screw in the bottom of the door handle, , there will be a screw behind the piece that says SRS, ,it just pops out, , theres another metal piece above the latch on the end of the door, , , the rest should just pop off because it will have those christmas tree kinda clip thingys, , , so just pull.

There may be a screw around the door handle on the inside , , but you'll find that out once you get there.    Its been about 4 months since i did my last mercedes.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
you can get away with triggering on the factory amp and just feed line level outputs to the factory harness, which should be the same as a VW harness. the biggest drawback to this is that even at minimal volume using the aftermarket h/u, it's still louder than one would expect, but many people don't mind. and if you're installing a h/u that beeps with each press of a button, you may wish to see if you can mute it, because it could get pretty annoyingly loud.....especially if it's a sony h/u.
there's really no need to worry about the air bag in the door. i've never removed a SLK door panel, but i have done a 99 C230 sedan door panel, and there shouldn't be very many differences
with many german vehicles, including the C230, you can pry out that little sign that says "air bag", which will probably reveal a screw behind it. you also need to carefully pry out the plastic piece behind the door latch handle (that thing that you pull in order to open the door). also, the grab handle will probably have a cover that you need to pry off which will reveal another 2 screws probably. then just pry off the door panel since the only other things holding it in place should be just the regular clips. if you have a tough time with the window edge portion, don't try to lift too hard on it. instead, try pulling towards yourself. many german door panels come off that way more easily than lifting up.
audi is the only german i can think of that requires you to lift up instead of pulling out, because they use hooks to hold the door panel (like a ford thunderbird). oh, btw, you will probably need to unscrew the lock pin first.
good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic