2002 Tahoe Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
junebug 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2002 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I have a 2002 Tahoe w/ On Star that I would like to add remote start.  My delima:

• I want to retain the operational factory secuirty system
    • would like it to remain armed when remote starting but not necessary
  • want one remote that can operate the security system and the start
    • be nice to have additional outputs for window control to add later

Is this possible?  What remote start would you put in? 

I know I'm asking alot . . . but everything is possible!  Just gotta figure out how.  Any help greatly appreciated.

joyride2k 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2002 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty much all of the r/s with keyless will do this. Look into DEI's products. Talk with your installer make sure they understand what you want.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2002 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

The factory alarm must be disarmed during remote start.  (But the doors can stay locked.)  Any good remote start has a factory-disarm output.

Most remote starts also come with lock/unlock outputs, so you can do everything you need from that one remote.

There are only two ways to arm your Tahoe's factory alarm system.  1.  Use the factory remote.  2.  Press the power lock button on the door panel before you close the door.  So, if you can just get in the habit of using the door panel button to lock the car, you'll be all set there.  (It might be possible, using timer relays and other installer tricks, to get the aftermarket remotes to arm the factory alarm....but the cost to have someone do this wouldn't be worthwhile.)

You've probably noticed that your car has the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) feature, which keeps your radio on for fifteen minutes, unless you open one of the doors.  If you were to remote start the car, and then shut it off remotely, the radio would continue playing for fifteen minutes,  which is annoying.  If your remote start has a "pulse after shutdown" output, you can tie this into one of the car's door trigger wires.........you'll "trick" the car into thinking the door has been opened, thus shutting off the radio.

I've installed the Audiovox PRO-9175FT4 in a lot of the GM SUVs, and it works great.  It has two spare channels for future things like window rollup and the "pulse after shutdown" output.  DEI's Valet 552T is also a fine product, although it has no "pulse after shutdown" and only one spare channel.

Your car is equipped with the Passlock II engine immobilizer system, which requires an interface during remote start.  The DEI 555L and Audiovox AS-GM4 are both excellent.  Steer clear of any installer who offers to save you money by permanently defeating the Passlock.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic