icon

Tweeters pop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chappy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed a set of Alpine type S componants but I think I may have wired the tweets wrong. I am new to installing and I am not sure which is the positive wire on the tweets. Is it the solid black or the black with a white line? I know this is a dumb question, but I keep second guessing myself. Also, when at high volumes it sounds like my tweets are popping... is it just too loud for the tweets or could it be that they are wired in reverse? Thanks
Imagination and drive are the keys to greatness.
2000' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
LqDFx 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  

The black with the white should be the positive wire, look in the manual to make sure. If you do not have the manual look on Alpine's site http://www.alpine-usa.com/. If you havesound quality problems, they might wired wrong! I am not the greatest at components, but I think they have to be wired correctly to work! you don't want to mix up the phase on speakers anyway by wiring them backwards.

chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
Most components allow you to reverse the phase on the tweeter to improve your imaging depending on the install, so this is probably not your problem. Are you sure you have them hooked to the crossover correctly? What are you using to drive the components - are they running off the headunit or an amp? If an amp - are the gains set properly? How high up do you turn the volume before you hear the popping?
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
umm, no, , black with a white strip should be negative.    Isn't there a manual, or a indicateing picture on the box sumwhere??   i haven't installed those speakers yet so i can't help too much.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
frogger42024 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
i ahve installed a lot of stereo units, usually the black with white stripe is the negative, however it sholudn't matter.  it will play with the sound a little bit, but they will still work.  if your sh*t is popping that means you have your amp set wrong, or maybe your amp is to powerful for the speakers.  you should also check the speakers to make sure that they are not blown.  a blown speaker will not show itself unless it is turned up.  but i would put money on the amp.  check you you levels and your boost.
Chappy 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

I am running them off of an Alpine 40w x 4 amp. They don't start popping until the volume is high, but the system still isn't as loud as it was before the amp and components. There is a dip switch in the crossovers that says 0, -3db, -6db. I am pretty sure its for the tweets so I am gonna set it to -3db and see if that helps out a little. The gain on the amp is set to about 1/2 way, there is a little mark that says nominal so I left it there for now. I might tweek with that a little if the dip switch doesn't help. The speakers are rated at 40W RMS... The amp stil might be a little too much. Thanks for the help.

Imagination and drive are the keys to greatness.
2000' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Popping tweeters usually means one of three things: 1) they are being over-powered.  2) the crossover point is too low 3) the amplifier is clipping.  Make sure you have the crossovers conencted properly and you have not modified anything in the way they are hooked up compared to the way the instruction manual says to hook them up, and make sure your amplifier gain is properly set to match the output from your head unit ("nominal" on the amp means nothing.)
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic