BMW-Clifford w/Intellistart problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bmbum 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Hoping someone here could help me out. I installed a Clifford Millennia and a Clifford Intellistart IV on a 1995 BMW 325i Auto. All is well with the Millenia, however the Intellistart IV is exhibiting some gremlins relating to BMW wiring. The remote start  is fully installed as per the wiring diagram minus the wire connections not needed (hood trigger, brake pedal, a/c wire, heater 2). A/C is powered with ignition and the others read off the cliffnet connection to the Millennia unit. My problem is the remote start will not start via button #4 from the remote under "certain conditions". Keep in mind that all the other Intellistart functions work flawlessly like "short-stop", acc power for radio until door opens, brake/hood trigger interrupt, etc.

-When I press #4 button, ignition fires up and then shuts down- no start.

-Key start (normal), key shut off (power acc. stays on for 5 min-normal) - do not open door - press #4 button - car remote starts O.K.

-Igniton "on" with key (no cranking) - remove key - #4 button - remote starts O.K.

-After successful remote start, brake pedal interrupt (shuts down-normal), DO NOT OPEN door, #4 button, remote starts O.K.

-After successful remote start, brake pedal interrupt (shuts down-normal), OPEN door, #4 button, DOES NOT remote start.

-After successful remote start, #4 button to remote shut down, #4 button to remote start, DOES NOT start.

From what I gather, the DOOR TRIGGER (-) on the BMW cuts power to something that interrupts the remote start. Hopefully someone out there is familiar with Clifford remote starts and the BMW setup in regard to the door trigger. On the Millennia install, I did NOT use the domelight supervision wire as the BMW's use domelight supervision through the power door locks/door trigger already. Maybe that has something to do with it. At my wits end...

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  
you've bypassed the factory immobilizer? what method did you use? if you did not bypass the immobilizer, then what you're experiencing is a result of having sensed your key in the ignition, and retaining that memory for a short while thus allowing the remote start to happen.
Bmbum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

I DID NOT hook up the bypass wire to the factory immobilizer during the install. I was over-thinking the install diagram which states to hook up to "factory" arm/disarm but the "factory alarm" was never installed (plug-in type) so the bypass wires never got hooked up. Also the 1995 BMW 3-series DOES NOT have the chip in the key (EWS-II), so it wasnt on my mind during the install.

Come to think of it, I have "heard"  that BMW has a "built-in" fuel pump/ignition "cut-off" in the system electronics but there are no diagrams showing this. If you or anyone else that has worked on a 1992-1995 BMW 3-series could provide the color-code wire and location or simply guide me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

datrick 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Some 1995 BMW does have EWS,   and some dont.   So you better check this for sure.    Try to find out if you have 2 thin green wires coming out of the key cilinder.  If that is the case then you do have EWS.
Bmbum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct! Build dates of (1/95) or later have the EWS. My care was built in (2/95). I need the DEI 555B module and a spare key to complete install. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bmbum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
LIKE A CHARM! Thanks again for all your help!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic