icon

Concrete Sub Box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  

u guys do know that concrete is used today in spl right? not for the enclosures, but for makin stuff not rattle. anyhow, if u wanted to be really tricky, used aluminum. weld it together. it doesnt rattle at all. then use some truck bedliner to make it match the rest of the bed, and no one will ever know its there... minus the big bulge... yea, u get the point.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  
This van used concrete walls (just scroll down). I'm confused about this topic. The outside of the enclosure is covered in cement. Had it bonded with the enclosure, wouldn't it keep it from flexing?
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
I am assuming he use concrete tokeep the box from flexing which would be very fectve. I dont know any sub that is gonna make a 3/4 mdf box thats encased of an inch of concrete flex. When ever I have seen concrete used it was to stp flexing, and it is very effective at it. THe problem with it is the sever increase in weight that it adds to the vehicle.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
there is a group of home theater people who are using marble and concrete to make sub enclosures, the reson is it doesn't resonate (well at least not at any frequency that will color teh sound) that will make for a truer sound fiberglass and wood add some sound to the bass
SplSledz 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well the box was designed by a designer who works at powerbass. The concrete keeps flex down and cuts down on the resonance of the box. Weight isn't really an issue if you are a serious competitor. The tubes inside the sealed box are supposed to make the box act like it is ported and make it hit harder. NOT because the box is too big. Box for 3- 15"s is 8 cu ft. My ported box for the cab is 13.2 cu ft for 4 subs and it is almost 6 cu ft shy of what it really needs to be. Well anyway I constructed the box and did a test run with it. In conclusion after 3 hrs of trying to get it to hit harder than it did with my other set-up I came to the realization it sucked and is going to the trash pile. Gonna make a few mods to my other box and run it for this weekends comp. Thanks for all you input and links.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, interesting topic. Sorry I sounded so pissy, I'd just never heard of concrete being used inside a sub box or for weather proofing resons. I have heard of people using it to stop flexing, I hadn't head of its anti-resonating effects, very interesting. I learned something new today Concrete Sub Box - Page 2 -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
SplSledz 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
No problem, it's all good, I put my old set-up in last night for Sunday's comp so I'm good to roll. I think I will tinker with the junk box and try to tune it with maybe shorter tubes. It sounded damn good till you threw alot of power on it and it started to clip extremely bad, sounded like all three subs were shot. I had it hooked up in the shop and think it may be mostly a voltage problem, amps draw a lot of juice. Power supply might not be as big as it was supposed to be. It'll be something to do this winter anyway.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic