icon

Matching brands?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

I noticed how some people like to buy a brand of speaker and stick with it for other speakers in the same setup because they tibre match or whatever.  My question is for all you with tons of experience how much of this is really true?  Everyone always says to listen and whatever you like is what you should go with, and I agree, but it almost seems like it could be logical that speakers designed by the same company might work better with certain other equipment by that same company.  O no i've gone crosseyed, but really if that question makes any sense to anyone what do you think?

"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
In general, yes, it is true that speakers manufactured by a given company tend to sound similar to other speakers manufactured by that company.  But in reality, this is only true within model lines.  For example, all Infinity Kappa speakers tend to sound alike, but they sound very different from Infinity Reference speakers.  So in general, if you stay with a given brand and a given line, you can be somewhat assured that they will all sound similar.  But the best idea is to trust your ears (and your test equipment!)  I have five diffrent brands of speakers in my car, all fairly closely voice-matched...
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

That reasoning does apply if the reputable company specifically lists the speakers to be used, or are best used, with other pairs of their speakers.  Like component sets used with each other and with a particular crossover.  Otherwise, speakers are made to fit different price points.  Sometimes you'll be auditioning speakers at a good shop, and find some of the same brand that sound great with each other, as opposed to the sound of mixed brands.  But that is mostly due to having good saleshelp who know how to close a sale and help you out at the same time.  Because if its all the same, a good salesman will keep it simple with the same brand and close the sale quicker.  But he will still keep you in the same line of the brand, such as the Lightning Audio Strike series as opposed to their Bolt series, for example.

I feel that using all the same brand connotates "being sold", like a package deal or something.  Whereas mixing brands makes one believe you have researched and auditioned to find exactly what you liked best (money is no object...).  I'll usually try to find the drivers from different brands....unless, of course, I get a package deal...;)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
What about amps?  I know some amps have similar features and things, but would say alpine components sound better with alpine amps than another comparable amp?  This question obvioiusly leaning toward reputable companies like stevdart said.  I was just curious because  I heard my speakers run off a jl audio 300/4 and it sounded WAY better than what I've got.  Granted it was in the shop and a little more power but it sounded like a whole different speaker.  I was contemplating an alpine amp, but after hearing that I'm unsure.  I've yet to hear the speakers with an alpine amp though.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
In my experience, matching brands of amps and speakers makes absolutely no difference.  If you use good quality clean amps, watts are watts.  It is the speaker that converts it into air movement that we can hear.  Of course there are VAST differences in performance and sound quality from one amp to the next, but if I understand your question, you want to know if running Alpine speakers will sound better with an Alpine amp?  No, as long as you are comparing to an amp of equal or better quality than an Alpine.
Support the12volt.com
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
thats what I thought, just wasn't completely sure.  I didn't know if some companies made things to specifically match each other.  Thanks.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
well, if ur running something like boss, pyle, pyramid, lanzar, etc. get that alpine amp now. dont finish this sentence. u still reading this? LEAVE! j/k. But if ur using something of better quality like RF, JL, Kicker, I doubt u'd notice any difference. (sorry about that ^^^, its past my bed time)
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic