icon

Subs arent Hitting very hard

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jweber 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

I have a pair od Audiobahn subs in a band pass box.  The subs arent very powerful at only 600 watt max, and my amp is a pioneer 760watt max 2-channel.  when i have everything hooked up they give a thump but nothing like they should be giving.  Do u have any ideas?  thanks

Jason

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

Is your car a hatch back / suv?  If not, and the seat is fairly solid, you'll need to find some way to vent into the main cabin.  Also try playing with the position of the subwoofer.

Other consideration:  do you have low pass filters turned on?  gain set correctly?  how do you have them wired?

Two comments...

1)  Max power means nothing, only look at RMS
2)  Need to give more information for anyone to help

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 2:17 AM / IP Logged  
kfr's right. only thing i would add, is definitely check the LPF and the frequency ur amp is set at. its possible that u have it set too low, and ur not getting any bass notes due to the fact that you are using a bandpass box. bandpass = crap. fyi.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
King_Midas 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
might sound dumb but maybe you're not bridging the speakers?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
You cant run that amp in two ohms. It will go smoky smoky. Those amps were netarious for drawing a ton of current without much pay off. That thing is mege inefficent. What you have is a bad match of subs and amp. You need to ditch that current drawing pig and get yourself an amp that is two ohm mono stable. Mabye like a JBL600.1 or a Rockford 3001 or 6001, or MTX 4001 or 6001, or an alpine or a JL or something to that effect. Thats gonna be the only way to really solve your problem and keep those subs. I love pioneer stuff and actually use it quite a bit but their amps have never been a shining point for that company.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jweber 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Bronco II so its an suv.  the subs wired seperatly off of the amplifier if that means anything.  I didnt do anythign to bridge them, so if that will help i will tyr that.  If i try putting them ina sealed enclosure will that help as well?  my amp has a switch for LPF and i have it turend to on and the gain control is set about 3/4 the way up.
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
DONT BRIDGE ON THAT AMP!!!!!!! It is not two ohm mono stable and thats what you are talking about doing. I CANT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MUCH YOU SHOULDNT DO THAT. Those amps have dependability issues at 4 ohms and actually had a dealer recall put out on them last year where all the remaining stock was recalled by pioneer due to a manufactures fault which caused them to be very unstable. If you put it in two ohm mono I would guess you have about an eighty percent chance of frying that bad boy. Get  a new amp for your subs and use that for your speakers or something.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jweber 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
alright ill try that, would putting the subs in a sealed enclosuser help tho?
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
no, its ot gonna really help you out. In fact it could make it quieter.
jweber 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
alright, what would be a good amp for this set of subs thats not gonna cost me an arm and a leg
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic