Installing 2 x with 8 guage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

is it possible to run 2 amps using 8 guage only

i.e.   running power wiring to fuse holder, fuse holder to distro block , then distroblock out to 2 amps . all 8 guage ?

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
The amps would have to be very small, no more than 20 amps of current each, but ya it can be done.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

sure, as long as you maintain the proper amperage rating for the cable you are using.... my rule is anything below 75-80 amps you're ok with 8 ga ( depending on the length of run )..... anything over go with 4 ga..... as long as the combined current draw of the 2 amps you are running is below 80 amps and you're running it ( your power cable ) about 15 feet or less you should be ok.....

if you're ever unsure it's best to pony up for a thicker gauge.... why do your gear an injustice??

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
yeah.. even tho i'm only running a 50WRMS x4 amp now i wouldn't think twice about having 4 ga wire to run to it. Firstly, you'd be sure that there wont be any overloading problems and secondly, it makes life easier when u want to upgrade or add in a second amp.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

my thoughts exactly.... i tend to oversell/upsell power cable as a rule because it makes life so much easier in the future

never fails that a week after you run a length of 8 ga. the customer comes in having decided he wants to add another amp

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
LqDFx 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a Lightning Audio B1.300.2 Amp in the car with 4 Gauge wiring running from the battery to the back. Then I used a dist block down to 8 Gauge to the amp. I am planning on getting a pair of Lightning Audio B1.150.2 amps to put in there also. Do you think that the 4 Gauge wiring is good enough for that draw?
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
dig, 4 awg wiring is good till about 150 amps depending on the distance. 15-17 feet is fine, over that its best to drop to 2 awg or lower.
You'd be installing one 300watt and 2 150 watt amps, which is only 600 watts max, dropped to 14.4volts and thats only a little over 40amps, you'd be find with even 8 awg so you'll be well within your limits with 4.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic