icon

is this normal?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontknow 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

So I went to set my gain on my amp this morning... I had the volume on the head at the highest level I listen to... (about 23 ) I can not put it any higher I still have stock speakers When setting the gain I had it at 0db and no clipping what so ever? here are the settings I have on my amp now

Deck alpine 9833 (Sub volume is at 15)

Amp Alpine MRD-M500 powering 1 12" type r (dual 4ohm)

Low pass @ 71hz

Subsonic @ 15 hz

param eq @ 50 hz width 3 and level 12

Bass Comp on

I have put the gain back to -8 as I dont feel safe running with it all the way up... But shouldnt the over indicator be flashing like mad?? Or is it because the volume on the deck is not up high enough?

Oh yeah on a side not I took you guys advise and built a new box 1.25 cubes... It sounds awesome THANKS!!!

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

The EQ is too high in my opinion.  Turn it off or keep it to a very low level if you want a tiny bump around 50hz.  I know this doesn't answer your question, but it should help improve your sq.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

The stock speakers will play well past the head unit's clean power, so if you started getting crappy sound after level 23, then you found the max clean output of the head unit.  I wouldn't use the base comp control at all, you can adjust bass response with your deck's sub volume.  It shouldn't hurt anything to keep the amp gain at a less sensitive level, but I would suggest trying to set the gain to match the HU output.  Listen to the bass response and stop when you hear the sub starting to sound forced.  Turn back a hair at that point.  When you are at the proper gain setting, a hair means just that, a hair.  I've noticed using a meter that when you are at that point in setting the gain, the slightest movement makes a lot more or a lot less voltage.  I would just insert the phillips head screwdriver into the screw (on my 4-channel), with the meter connected, and see the voltage jump.  The gain seems to adjust on a curve.. gradual at first, then very touchy when you are at the right setting.

Then, turn back your sub level control on the head unit.  It should be at 0 when you are playing heavily-recorded bass CDs, like Bass Mechanik and most new hip-hop, and then you can adjust it up when you have other music playing.  If the bass response is still too loud with the bass-heavy music with the sub control at 0, then you could touch the amp gain down a bit.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dontknow 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

I will try that with a volt meter... As far as the gain its fully digital and increases by 1db... it goes from -24 to 0 db

I know this is probably going to be hard to explain... but how do I know when the sub is distorting... Caus honestly when I had the gain @ 0 db it sounded good just way louder I had my ear right beside the sub

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Set the gain with your meter, then.  It is hard to hear distortion from a sub at full blast, even standing several yards away.  Going by the amp's rated power in watts at the ohm load you are using (2 ohms, I presume, with that DVC 4 ohm driver), find the voltage by using the formula:  voltage =square root of (power in watts X resistance in ohms), and read the AC volts on the two terminals the sub is connected to.  Unhook one speaker wire so the sub doesn't play while you are setting gain. 

If the amp's RMS power rating is higher than the speaker's RMS rating, use the lower one to set the gain.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
If you sub level is at zero you will get barely any bass, even on bass meknaic. I would set your gain with the sub volume control on the deck, at 15 and then decrease it as needed if you are playing a bass heavy song. Your sub is going to fail before your amp is going to clip probobly, so set your gain like stevadart suggested above.
stevdart 
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Take customsuburb's advice...I didn't realize the sub volume worked like that, with 15 being a flat response.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic