icon

Fiberglassing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xplorer 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

I want to make a custom fiberglass/wood console for my explorer sport and was wondering how to approach the task. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Peace
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
making consoles can be tricky, but in all actuallity its not that hard of a task to accomplish. You'll want to start by removing the stock (duh) and then using 1/2 MDF or thiner (it doesn't have to widthstand pressure levels so thickness isn't important, I say use MDF because it is fairly strong) make a skeleton of the console as you want it. This process isn't nearly as easy as I just made it seem, its time consuming and requires very good mesurments and very accurate cuts. Once the sides and internal skelton are up and pieced together you'll want to then use fleece to make a mold of the center section to give you your basic shape. Once you have that its just a matter of sanding it down. Granted thats just a basic summary you have to be creative too, if your gona add little compartments or switch panels or w/e you want to add you'll have to figure out where to put them and where they work out best. Its mostly having an imagination and then putting what you invension your project becoming onto the drawing board and then making it happen. Good luck with it.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic