icon

boston SL60 components etc. advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
galen_s 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

I was down at a local audio shop the other day listening to some of my music CDs, testing out some different components. After hearing the ones they had, I really liked the Boston Sl60 6.5 inch components. I'd be getting an amp to power these so that's what my question is about. Being a salesman he was trying to sell me the more expensive amp. the Eclipse EA3422 ( http://www.eclipse-web.com/index_amp.html) . What I'm wondering is would the alpine MRP-F240 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lCZhwshDErG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=500MRPF240&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y&search=) do a good enough job or should I invest the extra money for the better amp? I would be powering infinity 6002i speakers in my rear deck.

Another question, will these components fit in my 94 civic ex coupe? Their mounting depth is 2 7/16". I don't know where to look to find the maximum mounting depth in my car.

Thanks for the advice.

Galen

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
The salesman may have not been suggesting the Eclipse because it costs more, but because he felt it was a better amp.  If you listened to both amps with the same set of components and they both sounded equally good to you, then that is the answer to your question.  As far as fit goes, that depth is pretty shallow and should fit where any stock speakers were located.  There are spacers, too, that you can get to push them out a bit if needed.  Crutchfield's site will list speakers that fit that car if you enter in your make and model in  "what fits my car?".
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

You can also call crutchfield and they will tell you the mounting depth.  I personally wouldn't pay $200 plus shipping for that alpine amplifier from Crutchfield. 

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5709195385&tc=photo

Check out something like that, for example.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
That Ebay amp is $181 with shipping, and what's the warranty?  I would spend the extra $20 for Crutchfield's extended manufacturer's 3 year warranty, and I believe the shipping on that purchase would be free.  Or is it over $200 for free shipping?  I'm pretty sure the three year warranty applies to all the quality amps they sell.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
galen_s 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

The thing is, I don't really know how each amp sounds. The speakers were being powered by a bazooka amp. The way their listening rooms were set up, I couldn't hear the speakers with those two amps i mentioned. they had them in a seperate room with all the coaxial speakers.

galen

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, linked to the wrong amp there. 

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=5709122270&tc=photo

This is the 4-channel amp I'd consider over the one you're getting.  It is the MRV series, instead of the MRP, and is a more powerful amplifier.  This amp is $257 shipped from an online retailer like this.  Probably not a long term warranty. 

This same amplifier is $399 on crutchfield.  

I don't know, I'm the type of person who asks, "what the hell is the markup on that thing?!" when I see price differences like that.  I feel like the car audio industry is able to charge markups that any other market would reject because of lack of information, the threat of '3 year warranties', and tightly controlled distribution channels.  The joke w/ the 3 year warranty thing is that you probably need to have it installed by a professional, which adds another $50+ to the cost. 

sh*t, the $257 amp goes bad in a couple years you've got 1/2 the cost of an upgrade plus interest earned from the original discoust by buying the cheaper amplifier. 

Another way to look at it:

1)  Chances are IF the amplifier is going to fail w/n 3 years something will be wrong on arrival or shortly thereafter.  Pay w/ Credit Card and you can get this money back from just about anybody, especially if they actuall say in writing there is a warranty on the item.
2)  I'm willing to venture there is less than a 1/3 chance the amplifier will fail and you won't be able to get your money back if paid by credit card and the failure is truely mechanical. 
3)  Since there is less than this 1/3 risk it is not worth a 1/3 price increase.

Now, I paid the full price for my head unit, because I believe head units are different beasts.  Any time you have moving parts and more delicate components the risk of failure rises.  Amplifier, speakers, full price?  Not as long as this market prices items so inefficiently.

stevdart 
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

kfr01:  Good argument, counsellor.   ;)

galen_s:  If that's the only shop in town with that equipment, and/or you wouldn't mind giving them a chance to gain a customer, ask them to set up an A/B comparison for you.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

KFR 01

Speakers have moving parts also. Its just as easy for someone to sell you a sub that's a lemon, as it is for someone to sell you a head-unit that is also. I do believe that the amp you mentioned is overpriced though.

kfr01 
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Heh, thanks stevdart.  :-)

Custom, right, but the motor mechanism on a speaker isn't exactly complicated.  As long as the speaker hasn't been abused and is working correctly when received, chances are it won't go bad.  Head units, on the other hand, are generally more prone to failure in a number of areas. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic