icon

Center console help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
neonhomer 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to be designing and building a center console for my 85 Chrysler 5th Ave. I want to be able to put my CB radio, 12v power points, switch banks for later options, and other misc stuff.

I was planning to make a cardboard rough draft first, and then build it. However, I dont know if I should use 1/4" plywood, or use fiberglass? I dont have much expirence w/ fiberglass, but I was thinking it would be lighter than plywood.

Any help appreicated.

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are..."
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
actually I wouldn't touch plywood, not for something like that. Use 1/2" MDF, its cheaper and stronger as well as more suitable for this style of thing. The cardboard roughdraft is cool, but I'd suggest making a fabrication/skeleton out for the MDF, then molding fiberglass to it to get the fiberglass finish.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
are you sure you wanna make that kind of investment in an 85 5th?
neonhomer 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

I kinda like this bodystyle car. I have two kids and my wife, and there is plenty of room in it for them. Huge trunk, power everything, cold a/c.

I dunno. Depends upon if I can come across a newer car. (I'd like to get my hands on a late 90's Crown Vic..)

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are..."
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
You're not going to need a lot of strength for this project so go with the fiberglass. Tape off your console area, draw out the final console shape and then make a mold of it in fiberglass. Pull it out of the car and trim the fiberglass to the marked line. Then build your console on top of that. You can use the 1/2" MDF for the sides. You might want to make the top next and then prop it up over the console bottom and wrap/resin it. I made a rear console/enclosure for an F-250 that way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic