icon

1989 thunderbird with premium sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SuperChicken 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 5:02 AM / IP Logged  

hello all I have a crisis on my hands here........... I just bought a pioneer DEH-P25 and I want to install it myself in my 89 t-bird. but i dont know which wires are what on the t-bird! it has jbl premium sound and currently has no radio installed.... justa gob of wires hanging out. it comes factory installed with an amp and sub. they were removed whn i acquired the car. i have all 4 stock JbL 5X7's and i need to know which wires are what on the t-bird i know what the wires are on my pioneer deck but they dont match the ones in my car. any help such as expert info, a link, or anyway that telss me how to do it would be great. any help is very much appreciated. thank you!

SuperChicken 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
oh yeah it also has a slave CD Player so where the tape deck was there is wires that look as if that should be it. but then theres these two gray cables full of wires inside with connectors at the end. its an 89 LX.
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

I just did a large install in an older ford mustang with "premium sound" the shop manual had all the wiring for the thunderbird as well.  Do yourself a big favor and ditch all the factory stuff and run everything fresh.  Trace the existing speaker wires back from the doors and rear, find the colour then attatch to that and run fresh wire to the new deck.  Run all new power, ground and accessory for the deck and ditch the factory amp.

Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1989-91&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&ID=17852&type=Stereo

Here is the info for that year it may be incorrect due to the "premium sound"  It was incorrect for the mustang.

SuperChicken 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Man Thanks a whole lot for the reply, i really aprreciate it. the things is my car is totally electrical and i really have no idea what i am doing when it comes to re-running wire from the power source and ground and all that stuff. i mean i can hook up a stereo to existing wires in NORMAL Cars lol. but damn this t-bird its so complicated. somebody told me to run a wire over to the fuse box where i have a 20 amp fuse for the radio... and then just run the ground to a piece of metal on the car..... oh boy....i got a chilton and looked in chassis electrical and i found a wiring diagram of the wires. but  it shows them in order with the factory harness. i have never seen the wires with the factory harness because it was cut off when i got the car...... and i bought  multitester... and tested wires...  like 6 of them come up with a reading!! What The Heck! anybody still wanna help lol.

Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

You can get ground anywhere on the metal chassis just make sure its clean of paint and rust..  I believe you can get constant +12V from your cigarette lighter.  Check by keeping the car off and the keys out then use your lighter.  If it gets hot its constant.  Tap into the wire with the red one off your new deck.  I'm not sure about accessory , but you'll need to tap into something from the ignition (IE turns on when car is on or key is in accessory position) Other than that you just need to run speaker + & - to each speaker. search around this forum and you may find some other posts for help.

Best of Luck

SuperChicken 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot man i think i got it now. I Re-wired all the speakers and i found the hot wire but that means the radio stays on even when the car is off :-( oh well i will just have to turn it off or detach the face. I also threw in an amplifier boy that was alot easier then hooking up the stereo lol. thank you, your input was helpful and very much appreciated.
Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
Glad I could be of some help.  I know what its like to not know where to start.  1989 thunderbird with premium sound -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic