icon

yukon 2003 remote start, dash light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markdoug 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
I had a viper 560xv installed on my yukon 2003 it had the remote start, and all windows roll up add-ons, the problem is the security key light on the dash came on. now all the stuff works that was hooked up, but after driving about 1 hour the truck shuts down, if i wait 5 mins it restarts no prob. The installer said just go down to the dealer and have the light turned off, i am concerned that the dealer is going to void my warranty- did the installer screw something up or is the security key light causing the computer to get confused. he said he tapped into the tach wire, white wire on the PCM. any help would be greatly appreciated.
TownAndcountry 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

You can use voltage sense instead of tach, adjust the crank time to .08-1.0 seconds and if the security light still comes on, there's an issue with your factory security. If not, it might not have been the right tach. I'd go right to the ignition coil pack.

Also, that truck has either Passlock II, or a Transponder based system such as PK3 or PK3+, did he install a bypass mod? Like a 555U or 556U? Or maybe a 555L for passlock II? Check and make sure the proper passlock wires are used, if not, it could cause intermitent issues. Passlock wires are tricky to test because they're not based on voltage, they're data wire's. The truck is not suppose to shut down while driving, so there are issues somewhere. I'll have more info tommorrow when I get in the office. E-mail me if it's not resolved.

T&C

tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
if your light is on there is a problem with the bypass its passlock 2 and yes they are based on voltage, resistance , the same thing but your problem needs to be addressed by your installer first have hin replace and double check the bypass connections the security light is his problem not yours  the problem is most likely the bypass or wiring as the passlock is not designed to leave you stranded even if the yellow passlock wire is broken good luck 
tj
TownAndcountry 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

In 1996 GM introduced the GM Passlock anti theft system. When a GM vehicle is equipped with the Passlock system, adding a remote car starter requires that the GM anti theft system is temporarily bypassed or disarmed. The Passlock passive antitheft security system resembles in some ways the GM V.A.T.S (Vehicle Anti Theft System) because it also uses resistor codes which must be authenticated by the Anti Theft security system in order to start the engine. The Passlock Anti-Theft system involves resistor codes which are generated by resistors located in the ignition key cylinder switch. The GM Passlock system uses what is known as a Hall Effect Sensor to send a resistor code to the Passlock module. The resistor code is activated when the ignition key is physically rotated in the ignition switch. Depending on the model of GM vehicle, the actual resistor code is only introduced to the Passlock system when the ignition switch is turned to the ignition on (run) position or only when the ignition switch is turned to the start (crank) position. The advantage of this technology is significant since the management system controls the fuel injection, timing and performance of the engine. An invalid resistor code allows the management system to completely close down the motor vehicle engine. This technology offers good basic engine immobilizing features for the general population. Also, do a search on the "Magnuson-Moss Act." This is about how after market equipment can be installed and cannot void your warranty. This may help, many dealership claim to void it, but if it's a written warranty, even limited, I would research this.

Oh and by the way, my shops are in Rochester , New York. Bring it and I'll fix ityukon 2003 remote start, dash light - Last Post -- posted image.

-T&C

markdoug 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info, if i was in NY, i would bring it, one more question, do u think taking it to the dealer to turn off the security key light on the dash will cause me problems with them?
TownAndcountry 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  

I reallyt hink it's an issue with either your bypass or possibly the alrm/remote start itself, being that that's when the issues occured. Correcting them may make that pretty little light go away.

-T&C

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
i would question whether they used the proper data interface ( 456G )   if they dfidnt use the Passlock bypass it wouldnt start at all....if my memory serves me correctly this vehicle also has an ignition shutdown feature as part of it's OEM security arsenal....using the proper data interface to shut down the security system should remedy this.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
markdoug 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
I took it to another shop to see what they saw, they said all the wiring looked right, but unless they tore it apart, they couldn't tell for sure, so i took it to the dealer and it how about a half dozen codes all toward the security feature, they r fixing it back to oem specs and i am going to give the bill to the shop that did the work, cause they told me to take it to a dealer to have the light reset, so it is their problem, not mine, wish me luck, thanks everyone for the replys.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic