icon

1999 f-150 odometer display on/off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
safetyforce 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 Ford-F150. When the truck is started, the odometer display goes off after a few seconds and returns on after about 2 minutes. If I tap the dash board above the guages, It will come on and usually stay on until the truck is shut off and restarted. I removed the guage cluster and the odometer display board. On the display board in the upper left corner the glass has a dark mark on it as though it is burned. Do I have to replace the entire guage cluster or can I just order the display board and replace it. Thank You. Gary Nahrstedt, Owner-Safety Force Vehicle Products.
safety force vehicle products
slicksam 
Copper - Posts: 291
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

Seems to me that there is a short on the cluster...I am assuming you have no more warranty on your truck.

You should go to ford and see if they ever seen that before.....maybe it can be a recall.....if not, I suggest change the whole cluster, I am sure it is expensive, maybe you can try a scrapyard to find a used one.

good luck.

Slicksam

safetyforce 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

UPDATE:

I seem to have corrected the problem with the odometer. If you are mechanically inclined this may work for you. I removed the instrument cluster disassembled it and retrieved the odometer display board. I unplugged it and plugged it in a few times and reinstalled the cluster. The odometer has worked without interruption since.

Gary Nahrstedt, Owner

Safety Force Vehicle Products

Robert@zapco 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
My 2000 f-150 has the same problem. Did you use any cleaner on it or did you just unplug it a few times to get it working again
Robert Rugani
Sales and tech support
Director of show vehicle design
safetyforce 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Mr. Rugani,

I did not use any cleaner on the odometer connections, I wiped off the contacts with a paper towel and plugged and unplugged the unit several times. I still have not had a problem. Thanks for your question

Gary Nahrstedt, Owner

Safety Force Vehicle Products

SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 99 that did that same thing.. Must be something in the cluster from the factory. Which it would have went off and quit counting the miles! Would have been better on trading in for the F250

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic